Hard Drive capacity

drewhiggs

I have been reading about hard drive capacity because my hard drive is over the 127 GB limit and it is not partitioned, yet my disk manager says that it is a healthy drive and 279 GB capacity.

untitled7yq.jpg

Will I be ok going over the 127 GB limit since my disk manager says that my drive is healthy? I have not been able to find a clear answer and I am hoping that someone here can help.

The guy that put my computer together after I bombed putting it together originally had it partitioned after the 127 GB, but there were a few problems after I installed a few things so I had to format my hard drive again and install windows. After this I never partitioned bc it showed the whole capacity for the hard drive. Now I am just worried that it will lose stored information if I ever reach that mark.

Thanks for any help you could give me!

But would I be ok leaving as it is, or do I have to partition? I would prefer to leave it all on one partition.

You dont need to use the extra space but if you want to expand the partition you cant do that inside of windoes you will need to use a boot sik of some kind ie partition magic or a free version of the same kind of software.

The 128Gb limitation also applies to the motherboard BIOS.

If 48-Bit addressing is not implemented in the motherboard BIOS, then you would only see 128Gb.

Seeing as you reformatted the drive, and the full capacity is recognized, then it would be safe to assume that the currently flashed BIOS upports 48-Bit addressing for drive capacities greater than 128Gb.

Additionally, the operating system must also support 48-Bit addressing as well. Windows XP has implemented 48-Bit addressing since SP1. So, as long as you have a Windows XP SP1 CD or greater, then you shouldn't have to worry about current drive capacity limitations.

Note Windows XP does not support 48-bit LBA support unless you are running Windows XP SP1.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;303013

The 128Gb limitation also applies to the motherboard BIOS.

If 48-Bit addressing is not implemented in the motherboard BIOS, then you would only see 128Gb.

Seeing as you reformatted the drive, and the full capacity is recognized, then it would be safe to assume that the currently flashed BIOS upports 48-Bit addressing for drive capacities greater than 128Gb.

Additionally, the operating system must also support 48-Bit addressing as well. Windows XP has implemented 48-Bit addressing since SP1. So, as long as you have a Windows XP SP1 CD or greater, then you shouldn't have to worry about current drive capacity limitations.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;303013

Awesome, thanks for the help!!! Just what I needed to know