DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR, New rig

bgshiznit

Looking at building a new rig and overclocking it. Just want some input on my hardware choices. Heres the selections so far:

Opteron 165

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR

OCZ Gold Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB)

Antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550

Is this hardware gonna get me up to 2.4Ghz with luck on my side? Any suggestions?

Welcome to DFI-Street! Your hardware looks fine. I might recommend another power supply though. I think people have been complaining about Antec's quality as of late although you may want to do a search around the forums about this. I'd recommend sticking with the "A" list power supplies listed in the NF4 Recommended Power Supplies guide. A factor you might consider is if you will want to run SLI on your board. If so, go for the SLI/Expert power supplies. If not, the non-SLI power supplies will suffice.

I'm pretty confident that you will be able to get at least a 2.4ghz overclock with this current setup but ymmv depending on stepping. Stock cooling should be alright but if I were you, I'd upgrade the CPU cooler... no sense putting excess heat on the processor. Also, Arctic Silver 5 or Ceramique thermal compund instead of the thermal pad thing they have on the stock heatsink if that's what you're gonna use. One of the best $5 investments in your new rig.

Good luck with your build. Here are some good guides to get you started once you receive all of your hardware.

Initial Build

Ultra-D step-by step build <== Pretty much the same for SLI-DR. Just don't enable Cool and Quiet since you're overclocking.

THE Definitive Overclocking Guide