Think I killed my x2 4200

edgerfs

Ok, new CPU went in and still nothing... just beeping noise. Now I had already tried 2 sets of TCCD but just to be sure went through them in every slot. Again, nothing. It was at this point I tried a stick of pc2100, old Samsung stuff from the days of pentium A. Anyway, stick of that in, it made bios straight away. I can now replace that with my newer TCCD and it will boot, but whenever I swap CPU's out it needs the samsung 2100 to get it going.

So the chip ISNT dead, its just somehow the memory slots are fubared. I have no idea why/how, but at least its working now.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, new CPU went in and still nothing... just beeping noise. Now I had already tried 2 sets of TCCD but just to be sure went through them in every slot. Again, nothing. It was at this point I tried a stick of pc2100, old Samsung stuff from the days of pentium A. Anyway, stick of that in, it made bios straight away. I can now replace that with my newer TCCD and it will boot, but whenever I swap CPU's out it needs the samsung 2100 to get it going.

So the chip ISNT dead, its just somehow the memory slots are fubared. I have no idea why/how, but at least its working now.

No, it's more likely that you damaged the memory controller in the CPU.

I think you dodged a bullet which is great news. If your Mobo is still under warrenty I would RMA it and if not grab another one and have a cold beer :nod: