Dual Boot RHL And XP?

d3bruts1d

Ok... I've not tried it yet, but was wondering if anyone else has....

I heard that there were some issues that came up when attempting to dual boot Linux and Windows 2K/Xp... the problem was the NTBootLoader and Lilo did not get along... this forced people that wanted to dual boot 2K or XP and Linux to use a Lilo boot disk...

That's easy... and ok with me, but has anyone had any problems with the Grub boot loader? Does the same issue come up?

I'm looking at re doing some of my systems over the weekend with this type of set up.... maybe.

Comments? Suggestions? Feedback?

In collegem we had win2k on the machines and we were installing RH 7.something and we instlled GRUB and it dual booted just fine.. well..

I did the same thing I did when I installed 5.2 on my 98 machine back in the day.. acidently installed LILO.. FUDGE! lol.. so I had to do a windows recovery.. :P

but yeah if u dont screw up it works just fine..

Its best to have two hard drives.

Install XP on the main drive.

Then install linux on the other. While your installing linux it will ask you where you want grub or lilo installed (I like grub) make sure you say to install grub in the master boot records of your main drive (windows drive). this way, you get the grub boot screen everytime your system boots, and you can choose linux or windows.

cant u just go into bios and tell it where to boot? well, i guess u dont wanna do that everytime. im dual booting 3 different versions of xp on a 12 gig hard drive. u should see it, its windows, windowsa, and windowsb

;)

Heh... I screwed my 2K server up trying to install it and RHL on the same HD/different partitions.... not sure what exactly went wrong...

And no, you can't go into the BIOS and selct where to boot... don't think I've ever seen a BIOS that can read the MBR/boot loader...

Booting between different Windows OS's is one thing.... we had several on one PC a few months ago before we got more PCs in.... But dual booting between Windows and a non-Windows OS is much different...