Games Crashing With DFI 4X512 VX? TRY THIS!!

If you are having issues with BF2, Half-Life 2 etc crashing intermittently, and you are running a DFI NF4 chipset with CH5 based modules (Such as my PC4000 VX Gold) in a 4X512 configuration, these settings should work for you...a couple friends of mine have had issues and these have worked great for them. This is absolutely rock solid @250HTT/MHz for me. The biggest things are the Refresh Period (Tref) settings @2592 and the Max Async Latency @ 8.0 nanoseconds and Read Preamble Time @ 6.0 nanoseconds. Trust me it works...but you have to follow it setting for setting...don't complain if it doesn’t work because you had your Trfc set lower (or any other setting, just making a point). You have to use what is shown below...(this is my opinion) Also, trust me when I say a slew of benchmarking, hours of gameplay etc have been used to come up with these specific settings.

The Tref, Max Async and Read Preamble obviously have a lot to do with limiting the load on the Athlon 64 memory controller while it is dealing with all 4 DIMMs populated.

2 things:

1) this is for a 4X512 Config only

2) this is for the DFI/NF4 and the OCZ VX Gold memory...Have not tried with any other configuration, however a friend said this worked perfectly with his Mushkin Redline...which I believe runs the same CH5 chips.

Also, I have a San Diego 3700+ running @250HTT X11 Multi (2750MHz) But I have left those Geni BIOS settings to your individual discretion.

Check out this thread for my trial and error with 4X512Mb in detail with this memory http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12925

Genie BIOS Settings:

DRAM Voltage Control - 3.30v

DRAM Configuration Settings:

DRAM Frequency Set - 200 (DRAM/FSB:1/01)

Command Per Clock (CPC) - Disabled

CAS Latency Control (Tcl) - 02

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd) - 02 Bus Clocks

Min RAS# active time (Tras) - 06 Bus Clocks

Row precharge time (Trp) - 02 Bus Clocks

Row Cycle time (Trc) - 07 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc) - 16 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd) - 02 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr) - 03 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr) - 02 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt) - 03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref) - 2592 Cycles

Write CAS Latency (Twcl) - Auto

DRAM Bank Interleave - Enabled

DQS Skew Control - Auto

DQS Skew Value - 0

DRAM Drive Strength - Level 8

DRAM Data Drive Strength - Level 2

Max Async Latency - 8.0 nanoseconds

Read Preamble Time - 6.0 nanoseconds

IdleCycle Limit - 16 Cycles

Dynamic Counter - Disable

R/W Queue Bypass - 16 x

Bypass Max - 07 x

32 Byte Granularity - Disable(4 Bursts)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im going to give this a shot as i have had non stop crashing lockups while playing games. Only diff is i have 4x512 ocz pc3200 gold. Will only be stable @ 133mhz which i realize is way below wat its potential performance could be.

Do you think this would apply to pc3200 ram? although i do realise you havent tested this out with many different ram types.

...but you have to follow it setting for setting...don't complain if it doesn’t work because you had your Trfc set lower (or any other setting, just making a point).

DRAM Frequency Set - 200 (DRAM/FSB:1/01)

So no divider?

I wonder if these settings are good for BH5. I'll definately give this a try with my 4x512 Gskill 1GBGH, if I ever get my 146 opteron in my new NF4 Ultra-D rig.

Thanks hifi for your hard work.

Thanks - I was wondering why BF2 (DeanGneasLeatFein/C1an) went to hell after I lost one of my unmatched 2 x 1GB Corsair CMX sticks and replaced all with mem in sig below on T2. I'll see what works for me (that VDC won't) and post, hints and pointers welcome! Got the 4x mem because frys are out of anyway decent ram in 4 branches.

EDIT - Fixed, I set affinity to one core only for BF2. pain to do this everytime though.

Affinity Thread

Cian

So no divider?

I wonder if these settings are good for BH5. I'll definately give this a try with my 4x512 Gskill 1GBGH, if I ever get my 146 opteron in my new NF4 Ultra-D rig.

Thanks hifi for your hard work.

I have not tried these settings with a divider...I believe that would be related to the processors memory controller, which does tend to vary (unfortunately) from processor to processor. However, though this variance is there, I have had 5 individuals with different Athlon 64 processors (Venice, Clawhammer, San Diego based) give me very positive feedback with these settings.

hifi

Im going to give this a shot as i have had non stop crashing lockups while playing games. Only diff is i have 4x512 ocz pc3200 gold. Will only be stable @ 133mhz which i realize is way below wat its potential performance could be.

Do you think this would apply to pc3200 ram? although i do realise you havent tested this out with many different ram types.

Hello Seth, you should be able to run @200MHz with that memory, that is why I left the Geni BIOS settings empty...in order to accomodate that. I would just give these settings a try at your current 133MHz speeds and move up from there just to test stability. Also, if it works for you, great, just be sure to post back here either way!! :)

hifi

Thanks - I was wondering why BF2 (DeanGneasLeatFein/C1an) went to hell after I lost one of my unmatched 2 x 1GB Corsair CMX sticks and replaced all with mem in sig below on T2. I'll see what works for me (that VDC won't) and post, hints and pointers welcome! Got the 4x mem because frys are out of anyway decent ram in 4 branches.

EDIT - Fixed, I set affinity to one core only for BF2. pain to do this everytime though.

Affinity Thread

Cian

Hi Cian,

Well there is the Affinity issue, which is an issue all of its own. None of the individuals I have recieved feedback from are running dual-core processors, so you would be the first if these settings work for you.

hifi

I was reading the eq2 forums with ppl also having issues with the dual cores and fixed it by setting the affinity or watever and like you said it was a pain to have to set this manually everytime. Then reading further there was a post with a guy saying there was a program that would set it upon application startup or something so you didnt have to worry about that. Ill try and dig up that info again for you.

Hello,

i got two pairs of ocz dc pc4000 vx in my dfi lp sli-dr.

The thing is. They are running at 333mhz at 1.58v.

What i have to do, anyone knows::

DFI Lanparty nf4 sli-dr

processor Athlon 64 3700+ Sandiego

XFX 7800 gtx oc(490;1300)

4x512mb ocz dc vx pc4000

seagate 250gb sata

maxtor 300gb sata

thermaltake big typhoon cpu fan

Case Thermaltake va9000 kandalf serires

Ok no luck here, tried the settings and games are still not stable unless its @ 133mhz. The drive strenght i cannot set to 8 tho, it only has the options not reduction, 15% reduction, 30% ", 50% ".

Only things i changed though was the tref (2592), read preamble (6ns), max async (8ns). At first i played eq2 for a good hour and no problems @ 166mhz. Then tried bf2 and it crashed to desktop, started up again and it got to the main menu and locked up. Tried bf2 again @ 200mhz and same thing. Reinstalled bf2 and tried again both at 166 & 200mhz and same thing. Still only 133mhz is stable with 4x512 ocz gold PC3200 ram.

Ok no luck here, tried the settings and games are still not stable unless its @ 133mhz. The drive strenght i cannot set to 8 tho, it only has the options not reduction, 15% reduction, 30% ", 50% ".

Only things i changed though was the tref (2592), read preamble (6ns), max async (8ns). At first i played eq2 for a good hour and no problems @ 166mhz. Then tried bf2 and it crashed to desktop, started up again and it got to the main menu and locked up. Tried bf2 again @ 200mhz and same thing. Reinstalled bf2 and tried again both at 166 & 200mhz and same thing. Still only 133mhz is stable with 4x512 ocz gold PC3200 ram.

Okay, that is a different motherboard, (and of course is not VX memory so this may not be a good solution for you) same chipset, but there are some feature differences on the infinity boards, and the obvious is that there are limited (but plentiful) BIOS settings. The drive strength issue may be hurting you, but how much voltage are you running through those dimms? That BH5 likes very high voltage, are you above 3.0V at the very least?

hifi

2.7v

RAM type OCZ4001024ELDCGEC2-K

Original V given by OCZ forums was 3.0V, after i stated wat memory i had he said

"Ok....then you need to adjust things a bit....the C2 doesn't like the volts I gave.....you need to try this"

And then told me to set it to 2.7V