Building new PC - A "how many watts I need" question!

They do lose capacitance over the years, though the exact amount, I am not sure of.

Generally speaking, I upgrade my PSU's every 5 years in a computer that I use daily, 7 years in a computer that has a lot of overhead (my mother's has a 450w PSU, she probably only uses 200w)

5~7 years is pretty conservative but buying a unit with additional "performance headroom" is definitely consumer savvy, replacing the capacitors with quality low ESR rated components has allowed me to lengthen the service life of my PSU's almost indefinitely (I'm still using 2002 products 24/7) :thumbsup:

Thus...

Q: How many watts do I need?

A: As many as your budget allows for using quality components

Edited by tazwegion

Thanks for your reply. If a new PSU solves my problem I'll be real disappointed that the HX620 is faulty. It's been in use for less than a year so I'll RMA it.

malibu72

I purchased an AX720w. It didn't solve my problems but at least I have the HX620w for a spare. Since everything else checks out it appears that the mobo has caused the problems. Since DFI is out of the board business I'll have to decide on another brand. If I stay with a board that's compatible with my cpu (Intel Q9550) at least I can continue to use my Mushkin DDR2 RAM. I'm not a gamer and I'm not into overclocking so see no reason to go to DDR3 RAM.

Regards