• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mac173

mac173

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

I am looking at these two devices to have both wired and wireless in my house. The wired router I already have, the wireless one I am looking to buy.

EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch

Linksys E2500 Advanced Dual-Band N Router

Is this a good setup for 2 wired computers, 1 wired backup drive, X-Box, and wireless Blu-Ray player?

Could my daughter use this wireless with her smartphone for internet access at home?

Thanks, networking is NOT my strong point.
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 @ 2.66GHz
eVGA nForce 730i MOBO
nVidea Geforce 9300 Onboard Graphics
8 Gig G.Skill PC800 DDR2 Memory
Corsair 750w PSU
Memorex DVD-RW Lightscribe
NZXT M59 Case (4 120mm case fans)
NZXT Fan Controller

#2 Shurman292

Shurman292

The Shurmanator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:12 AM

Looks good to me, it's hard to go wrong with Cisco/Linksys :) I have never had any issues with their routers.

The Beast
CPU: i7 930 @ 4.01 ghz, 1.26v ||| Cooler: Corsair H100i
MB:ASUS P6X58D-E ||| RAM: G.Skill 6 x 2 GB @ 1528mhz/9-9-9-24/1.6v
Video: Nvidia GTX 480 @ 775mhz/1880mhz ||| Sound: ASUS Xonar D2X
SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB ||| HDDs: WD 1TB and 2TB Caviar Blacks
Optical: LG BD Writer ||| Case: CM Storm Trooper with Scythe side fans
Power: Corsair AX1200 Gold ||| OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

#3 greengiant912

greengiant912

hl2.exe has stopped working

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1452 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

I am looking at these two devices to have both wired and wireless in my house. The wired router I already have, the wireless one I am looking to buy.

EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch

Linksys E2500 Advanced Dual-Band N Router

Is this a good setup for 2 wired computers, 1 wired backup drive, X-Box, and wireless Blu-Ray player?

Could my daughter use this wireless with her smartphone for internet access at home?

Thanks, networking is NOT my strong point.

Generally the thing I warn people about from my own experience is don't necessarily buy the cheapest. I have gone through sooo many cheap routers/wireless routers within a pretty short span...

If your looking for a wireless router I would aim for the $80-100 one... Which the one you pointed out is in the range. Not a bad deal for a dual band router, if I wasn't trying to get away from consumer routers I would pick one up myself :D

Oh by the way, since you have a router, there really is no need to get another router. You might just want to look for an access point, or just replace your current router with that wireless one.

If you do buy both you want to make sure to set your new router into BRIDGE mode otherwise you will run into issues. Do this before you connect it to your current network...

Edited by greengiant912, 25 April 2012 - 12:22 PM.

My Website  Twitter  XBL  PSN  STEAM

MSI Z68A-GD65(G3) - Intel i7 2600k - eVGA GTX570 Classified - 16gb Gskill DDR3 - Windows 7 Professional x64

15 inch Macbook Pro with Retina Display - Apple iPhone 5s 32gb - iPad 2 - 32gb - Xbox 360 Elite - PlayStation 3 (Slim) - Nintendo Wii - Xbox One - PlayStation 4

Server+ Certified - A+ Certified - Bachelors of Science in Information Technology