Weird Memory Issues

OK So i've recently bought a new gaming rig with an ASUS Rampage III Extreme mobo , i7 930, gtx 470 and corsair xms3 3x 2GB ddr3 (CMX6GX3M3A1600C9)

basically my problem was that my RAM would show 6GB some days and only 4GB other days. I read somewhere to check hardware reserved amount but it is only the usual 9MB so that's not the problem, I also untightened my fenrir a bit. Went back to 6gb then back to 4gb. It is NOT the RAM as I already RMA'd some previous GEN platinum XMS3 and this new stuff was ok for a bit and then after a while, same problem.

So now I THINK i've fixed it by going into BIOS and changing to XMP, then under DDR3 ive changed it to 1600mhz as that is max these modules support. What's odd is that when I ran CPU-Z before all this it showed DRAM Frequency as about 560mhz and now i've changed it to 1600Mhz its gone up but only to 800mhz as can be seen in this screenshot:

ramspeed-1.png

Anyway, do you think it would adjust to higher frequencies when im playing a game or something? When this SS was taken I was GPU and CPU folding and using about 26% of RAM (full 6GB showing now).

When I was in BIOS I went down to the bottom to voltages (dont really understand what to do there) but EVEN if i'd wanted to change them, I couldnt as they were greyed out and changing frequently on their own accord.

Also, instead of selecting XMP there was some ROG setting (republic of gamers) for the ASUS board I guess, and it said this was for 1066mhz-1600mhz DRAM, but I thought XMP did the same thing? Anyway I just chose XMp and changed the DDR3 to 1600Mhz but im not convinced I have the 1.35V per module atm.

Any help would be appreciated :) I can take pics of the bios with my iphone if necessary

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Edited by Sleinous

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reply to your question about the DRAM frequency only being around 800 MHz, from what limited knowledge I have I believe it's showing the correct value for 1600 MHz RAM. This is because as DDR stands for "Double Data Rate" which, in short, means the RAM frequency is in essence double that of the DRAM frequency shown (ie 800x2 = 1600 MHz). Maybe someone more knowledgeable can clear up why this is so...

Edited by Alexandre

ah! so when itw as running at around 500mhz it must have been 1066mhz freq? Thanks for clearing that up :D

EDIT: After validating on CPU-Z this time round:

1314990.png

Notice in the sig it now shows 9-9-9-24 whereas before it was 8-8-8-20

(And it's meant to be 9-9-9-24 when at 1600Mhz according to manufacturer's website).

EDIT: Every morning, i'm getting the same 4GB again -.- then I restart and i'm back to 6GB. Jeez this is annoying.

Edited by Sleinous

Hi Sleinous...... I'm definitely no expert but I want to try and help.....

1)Does your CPU socket have any of its pins bent? (a pain to check....but if you happen to re-mount the CPU cooler....you should check that....)

2)Have you tried the memOK button? (check in the manual or forums on how to use it)

3)Watch this and try it too (in bios enable "memory configuration protect" try with memory on XMP and also try with manually inputting the specs):

4)Maybe try to update to latest bios from the asus site.... just make sure you read the manual on how to do it safely....

5)Maybe try to underclock your memories back to 1066mhz (or 1333mhz maximum) and see if it can live with that and detects them all and just go on with that configuration (sorry.....not what you would probably like to hear but it is better to have 6gb on 1066mhz than 4gb on 1600mhz in my opinion)

6)Try to get in the game of voltage tweaking...... I dare not try and give you any pointers on how to play with them because I don't know anything about it but there is a fair amount of information floating on the web.....as you may already know.....better look on the forums regarding the Rampage III and memory problems.....

Sorry I can't give you any fullproof solution.....hope you get it fixed mate.....

EDIT:

7) If you bought the memories in a shop maybe you can replace them with a different brand (OCZ,G-SKILL,Crucial.....Kingston?) (well.....not really an optimal fix......but worth a shot if all else fails......better if it is on the QVL for this board)

Edited by Rock

Hi Sleinous,

Please perform the following steps;

1. Turn off computer and unplug power supply from outlet

2. Move CMOS jumper to clear position and remove CMOS battery

3. Remove RAM and reseat, preferably changing up slots in the process

4. Remove cpu and inspect cpu socket for bent or damaged pins (as already advised above)

5. If everything looks in order reinstall cpu and cooler

6. Move CMOS jumper back to save position and install CMOS battery

7. Power up computer and enter BIOS

8. Load BIOS setup defaults then save, exit and reboot

9. Enter BIOS again and go to memory configuration and change your primary timings from auto to 9-9-9-24

10. While still in the BIOS go to the Extreme Tweaker tab and click on it. Scroll down to Ai Overclock Tuner and change from Auto to "Manual" - this will give you full control over all clocking parameters including voltages

Now starting with the section dealing with voltage control use the following settings;

Extreme OV = Disabled

CPU Voltage Control = Absolute (VID)

CPU Voltage = 1.25V

CPU PLL Voltage = 1.85V

Loadline Calibration = Enabled

QPI/DRAM Core Voltage = 1.25V

IOH Voltage = Auto for now

IOH PCIe Voltage = Auto for now

ICH Voltage = Auto for now

ICH PCIe Voltage = Auto for now

DRAM Bus Voltage = 1.65V

Don't change anything else - save and exit

Hopefully this resolves your problem. If not you might be one of the unlucky ones who have gotten this board and had issues with "disappearing memory". Let's hope not. Keep us posted.

Edited by wevsspot

Hi Sleinous...... I'm definitely no expert but I want to try and help.....

1)Does your CPU socket have any of its pins bent? (a pain to check....but if you happen to re-mount the CPU cooler....you should check that....)

2)Have you tried the memOK button? (check in the manual or forums on how to use it)

3)Watch this and try it too (in bios enable "memory configuration protect" try with memory on XMP and also try with manually inputting the specs):

4)Maybe try to update to latest bios from the asus site.... just make sure you read the manual on how to do it safely....

5)Maybe try to underclock your memories back to 1066mhz (or 1333mhz maximum) and see if it can live with that and detects them all and just go on with that configuration (sorry.....not what you would probably like to hear but it is better to have 6gb on 1066mhz than 4gb on 1600mhz in my opinion)

6)Try to get in the game of voltage tweaking...... I dare not try and give you any pointers on how to play with them because I don't know anything about it but there is a fair amount of information floating on the web.....as you may already know.....better look on the forums regarding the Rampage III and memory problems.....

Sorry I can't give you any fullproof solution.....hope you get it fixed mate.....

EDIT:

7) If you bought the memories in a shop maybe you can replace them with a different brand (OCZ,G-SKILL,Crucial.....Kingston?) (well.....not really an optimal fix......but worth a shot if all else fails......better if it is on the QVL for this board)

1. I havent any replacement thermal paste atm so I cant. pc was custom built for me you see.

2. Nope, Ill read up about that

3. Done :D Im on XMP atm

4. Done too :D

5. Before XMP they were (so it would seem) running at 1066mhz)

6. Will be my last resort once I RMA board :P

7. Custom built so mem was with it, and already changed mem once :D as thought it was faulty one last time.

Thanks for everything, ill check out that mem button first :D

EDIT: For wevspot, unfortunately I cant remove cooler till I have some replacement paste. What basically happens is if i leave my computer off overnight, when I turn it on in the morning, it WILL be back to 4GB lol. But, if I then restart > bios > just change from XMP to Manual or vica versa, anything will do, itll load 6GB lool. :P

Ill try everything now and let you know how it pans out.

EDIT EDIT:

So I tried to find memory configuration, couldnt find it anywhere in the options or anything, ive taken pics for the Extreme Tweaker so you know what ive done.

I couldnt find "CPU Voltage Control" so couldnt set to Absolute VID, im using an i7 930 cpu btw, and latest bios, 0802.

Also when I set DRAM bus voltage to 1.65 it came upw ith some warning in yellow that youll see, also the only ones that set exactly to what you said were the 1.25v as youll see from the pics, some like 1.65v would end up as like 1.65770 or somethin odd.

PICS:

(In order as I scroll down)

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

EDIT EDIT EDIT: The real test will be tomorrow morning when I start it up :)

Also why is my post only showing my first EDIT :/

Edited by Sleinous

sorry, I had a problem with editing post, can you see my pics and stuff, thats all for you :) thanks for your help!

EDIT: OK so I switched off for 3hrs and came back booted up and i STILL have 6GB so fingers crossed itll be ok tomoz?

Does anyone know if switching my computer off at the mains would lose memory settings? Even though i enabled the memory config protection thing?

Edited by Sleinous

Regarding advanced memory timing options.....

It is right below QPI Link Data Rate

>Memory Configuration Protect = Disabled

> DRAM Timing Control

>change primary memory timings to 9-9-9-24

All your other BIOS settings look spot on based on the recommendations I provided earlier :)

p.s. you can back your memory down to DRAM Voltage of 1.64V (I forgot that the next step up on the Asus boards is 1.65625) It won't hurt your memory to run there, but you probably don't like the stupid warning message.......

Edited by wevsspot

Crossing ma fingers for ya..... Let us know how it went in the morning......

:typing: <---------- Thought this said "trying"......oh well......

Edited by Rock

> DRAM Timing Control

All your other BIOS settings look spot on based on the recommendations I provided earlier :)

p.s. you can back your memory down to DRAM Voltage of 1.64V (I forgot that the next step up on the Asus boards is 1.65625) It won't hurt your memory to run there, but you probably don't like the stupid warning message.......

> DRAM Timing Control

Ah right, ill have a look now then :-D

@Rock, thanks :D so far a 3hr gap went ok :D

OK so I put the voltage down one and immediately, im back to 4GB lol.

Also pics of the timings to make sure its right, infact seemed to have done it automatically from when I selected 1600mhz

Pics: in order

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

EDIT EDIT: So I put that voltage back up to 1.65625 and its still only showing 4GB now lol.....this board has so many mini tantrums its just not true.

EDIT: 3 reboots and still 4.00GB, wish i hadnt touched it then, then again probablyw ould have done it again anyway -.-

EDIT: 5 reboots, probs RMA

Edited by Sleinous