Overclocking nooob :(

noobOCer

Ok, so I've spent like the past week reading a bunch of different guides and generally snooping around BIOS trying to "go through the motions" of what the guides have been saying to do but not actually changing any of my settings. Anyways, I have looked everywhere and for the life of me I can't find where I change my CPU clock...I can find where to change my FSB and from what I gather I can change that and it will overclock...I think? I'm using BIOS 0608 if that helps.

Also, CPUz says my core voltage is 1.456 but in BIOS its says 1.3something. This normal? Which one is right?

Thanks for any help

One more quick thing, the reason I really want to overclock is so I can get better response from my system when I alt tab out of games and go back to them (something I do very frequently, like right now in fact....). Is an improvement in this area something I can expect from overclocking?

Edited by noobOCer

I'll answer what I can

1. CPU speed = FSB * CPU Multi

RAM speed = FSB * RAM divider

Therefore, changing the fsb is how you would overclock your cpu. You could just up the mulitplier if your multi is unlocked, but not all of them are. And you can overclock in smaller increments using the fsb.

2. Its common for the measurements of voltage to vary a little, but that is a little much. I don't know why it would vary that much, someone else could probably help you on that.

3. Yes, OC'ing will help you alt-tab faster, as long as it is processor speed that is slowing it down. If its lack of memory, then you might need to look into some more memory.

By the way, posting specs such as motherboard model, cpu model, ram, video card, psu would help us help you better.

By the way, posting specs such as motherboard model, cpu model, ram, video card, psu would help us help you better.

Ok, put a link to it in my sig coz I was too lazy to type it all out in my sig. Anyways, BIOS has an Auto option for voltages. Does that mean if I overclock the voltages will be changed to what is needed? Or is it better to set it myself?