MD5 errors installing software linked to hardware?

I can install and play games from CD's and DVD's no problem. The problem I have is when downloading and installing patches or downloading (Legally - I buy them and get them with downloader programs) games from the internet. Frequently when doing this, I come across MD5 errors during the installation that cause the installation to fail. I've done a complete reformat of the computer and still come across the error.

Is this something that can frequently be attributed to hardware problems? The only times I encounter any unusual errors is during these installs, not during other times.

I've figured it's either my memory modules having problems (memtest freezes after the first couple tests) or something with the hard drive. Since I did a reformat of the drive, I'm leaning more towards the memory, although I can't rule out something with the mobo.

Anyone have any insight on what else it could be or have similar experiences?

I do digital forensics and am quite aware of issues involving unmatched MD5, SHA1 images and downloads. Yes, hardware can SOMETIMES be the culprit. For example, I attempted to image a drive with a foresicallysound disc via USB. After much testing and research I learned the problem was with the chipset that controls the USB. In my case, The chipset on the motherboard did no match the chipset on the device (external HD case) in which the image drive was located.

Obvuosly, you need to correct the issue with your RAM. I would also diagnose any probles that may exist with your NIC card. If any of the data is being transferred via USB or firewire, then your problem may be as mine was.

Hope it helps and good luck.