Help Pd 805

jws2346

I've got a PD 805 cpu. I have it in a mobo with no vcore adjustment ( Asrock 7775-DUAL-VSTA)

I can overclock the fsb to 170 (it boots into WinXP, no prob), but when I run ORTHOS it stops after about 40 mins, when I run Prime95, both cores, it keeps going ( the longest I've checked is 2 hrs). I have a Tt Big Typhoon HSF (lapped, the heat spreader is lapped also) I have 2 80mm fans in front intake, 1 80 mm fan side intake, 1 80 mm fan top "blow hole" exhaust and a 120mm fan back exhaust, so I have no cooling problems. I have a 500w PSU (POWER model: ADW-50063, maybe thats the problem ) My BIOS is the v1.70. I have 1 Gig ddr2 667 RAM. What bugs me is it runs perfect at 3.32 GHZ (166 fsb). I've had it folding, surfing, DVDing, etc. Anybody with any advice would sure be appreciated. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have an 805 as well, and have experienced some of the same problems as you have.

Your overclocking will be SEVERELY limited if you are not able to adjust your vcore very much. I would sugest getting a new mobo (mine is an ECS C-19A Sli...its better than you would think).

Surprisingly enough, it could be your power supply as well, since an overclocked dual core cpu can take a crap load of power! lol

To see if your ram is the problem, clock your ram very, very low compared to your cpu. then overclock your cpu more than you have. if no problems occur when your ram is clocked very low when your cpu is clocked very high, then you can thus conclude that your ram is the problem.

Also, check your temps to see if you need to upgrade your heatsink/fan deal (im using a thermaltake Blue Orb and it gets me all the way to 3.6 ghz!)

as you can see, there are many variables in overclocking, this is due to your "mediocre" hardware that should be upgraded to eliminate variables...you may be limited in places you never thought you could be limited!

Good luck! :)

• 1 month later...