Hard Drives Over Heating?

iTX

I've never had a problem putting two 7200RPM drives in such close proximity to each other. Of course, every time I have had such a situation, I've always had at least one 80mm fan blowing on them.

In my second case, I had two 80mm fans blowing air across them. In my third case (a Silverstone), I had a single 80mm fan blowing across them. In my current case, I have a large 120mm fan blowing across four of my drives, which are all spaced by at least three quarters of an inch. Of course, this time I have Raptors, so I couldn't put two of them in close proximity and try to cool them with a 80mm fan without having some overheating problems. Though two 7200RPM drives shouldn't be that big of a problem.

The mobo standoffs is a good idea, but my 5.25 bay has no screwholes, and I am really bad at trying to get them lined up. I'm working on a little solution right now, with el dremel. As for FedEx, Its from Newegg, so it went from CA to Ft. Worth, but instead of shipping it down I-45, or whatever, they I guess flew it to Houston (or drove straight past me). It's still sitting in at "dest sort facility". Estimated date is August 1st, just hoped it would have gotten here today :(

EDIT: Ok

Here is what I had to dremel:

17ut.th.jpg

This was one part of two, that made up the original hard drive cages in the XaserIII case. It was really bad airflow, so I removed them. I decided- because my 5.25 bay has no screw holes- to rework the hard drive cages into that slot. I didn't want to screw in holes to mount it, so what would one use? Zip ties! w00t! Hey, they're better than duct tape :D

20kt.th.jpg

It's pretty snug in there, hopefully there won't be any rattle going on.

39wy.th.jpg

:lol:

Edited by iTX