Overclocking

Sheepy

Hi,

I overclocked my comp, an cant get it passed a certain stage.

I have 3 fans on comp antemp is still too high.

I've got to a certain point of clocking an when comp starts i get a blue screen.

Or comp starts an 10 mions l8r i get blue screen.

Can some one see where im going wrong??

Thanks sheepy

STOP OVERCLOCKING RIGHT NOW. c'mon. dont OC with the stock HS. that is crap. Buy an xp-90 at least and put a nice 92mm fan on it. That is the main problem. ALso, to OC, you will need some better ram, although i guess since urs is pc3200, it will last for a little bit.

HUmm that's around where my grandpa's 2400+ started going crazy. If your on stock HSF and running like his then temps should be around 45C. Now my guess is either you need to up voltage on CPU (dont remember if it had settigns to do that but you have the same board he does :lol:) ram may be crapping out so try a divider on it. im pretty sure you can get a little more out of the chip. oh and it is a via chipset so you may have actually hit the top of what the board can handle....It's amazing what that 2400+ and that board + 256mb PC 2700 did for him, I think i finally backed it to 204 FSB, 408mhz on the 333mhz ram :D and it was running 43C load stock cooler.

EDIT: marty, there's nothing wrong with OCing with stock HSF, you just have to be more aware of temps. The 2400+ i bought had a HSF around the same size as what my 3000+ came with :lol: just a little more narrow. Also how the hell is he going ot put an XP-90 on a skt A CPU?

EDIT (again): the Thermalright SI-97 would be a good choice if you want to upgrade cooling (which you should)

Edited by cchalogamer

HUmm that's around where my grandpa's 2400+ started going crazy.  If your on stock HSF and running like his then temps should be around 45C.  Now my guess is either you need to up voltage on CPU (dont remember if it had settigns to do that but you have the same board he does :lol:) ram may be crapping out so try a divider on it. im pretty sure you can get a little more out of the chip.  oh and it is a via chipset so you may have actually hit the top of what the board can handle....It's amazing what that 2400+ and that board + 256mb PC 2700 did for him, I think i finally backed it to 204 FSB, 408mhz on the 333mhz ram :D and it was running 43C load stock cooler.

EDIT: marty, there's nothing wrong with OCing with stock HSF, you just have to be more aware of temps. The 2400+ i bought had a HSF around the same size as what my 3000+ came with :lol: just a little more narrow.  Also how the hell is he going ot put an XP-90 on a skt A CPU?

465818[/snapback]

i 4got socket A. in that case SI-97

48C is safe, just dont go any higher until you get somethign better :D if it breaks 50C load then you need to think about backing it down, if it hits 60C then drop that OC like a rock :lol:

Oh yeha marty, very easy to forget when he has the 754 2600+ pic in his avatar :lol: the mobo is the only thing that gives it away.

ive hit 50C once or twice. an comp shut down. so thats a good thing.

What fan an heatsink would you recommend?? for my cpu.

Do you think it would help if i piled on some more thermal paste as well??

Edited by Sheepy

no more thermal paste is not bette unless you dont have but the bare min (basically too thick increases temps) as we both said above in various posts the SI-97 is prob the best Skt A HSF out. Granted there are other options, but unless your buying a nice used maybe form another member this or a Zalman HSF is what i would go for (kinda like this one http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....118-119&depa=0)