Intel Ca810...stupid Ram

I got a little box to kick around with from a friend which I have been tinkering with for the past few weeks now. I tried installing a version of Linux on it (SUSE 9.1 Personal) and YaST wouldn't start up because of lack of memory... I dug around my room for a while and HOORAY i found a 256MB stick of PC100 SDRAM. I installed it into an open bay. I powered it up and it ran wonderfully (I didn't know the board's limitations at the time and didn't know if that was asking too much to run that much...

Form my understandings and looking at the POST of the motherboard, I believe it already had a 128 MB stick in it already... and when I finally got my ****** monitor working (had to bend pins back correctly...) It told me I was running 192 MB... WHY ME? I have about 320 or 384MB of RAM installed and it was only detecting part of it.

In the main slot is the 64MB (or 128MB) stick and in the second slot is the 256MB stick.

I recently flashed the P12 BIOS so I shouldn't have a problem (whenever I acquire someone's old PC, I flash the new BIOS)...

Avoiding the inevitable... should I switch the sticks of memory so that the 256 is the first stick and then the 64 or 128 stick to be in the second slot?

I wanted to get this computer to my girlfriend to use for her school work until she can afford another machine. Any help is graciously accepted!

i do not think that switching the sticks of ram will help you out at all, what kind of a motherboard is it? from there you can find out how ram you can use in there, it may be possible depending on how old that it is, you cant use the desired amout of ram. do you have an os installed on it yet?

haha...most teachers would not accept that excuse for a late paper

Edited by gotdamojo06