Dell Cpi Windows Xp

d3s3rtdw3ll3r

[email protected] I have a Dell CPi Laptop I just got used. It had an illegal OS so to be right I did buy Window XP. How do I remove the bad OS from the computer HD? Also, on install, the screen now is about half size instead of full size. How is this adjusted? How is audio adjusted? Is there an online place to get user manual for this unit? Another screen question. The screen is full size and clean on Dell F2 screen, but on the OS screen the image in places looks like spray painted or solarization. How is this fixed? Last, how do I get into dell BIOS and diagnostic settings other than F2 items? Thanks in advance and Iwould appreciate someone sending me an e-mail direct to let me know if I have this set up for auto notification for my mailbox if I get a reply. I hope anyone who reads this now knows there are those like me who know less than a slug about computers.

Good news

Because you bought a copy of windows XP this should be straight forward. Put the CD in and boot the computer, Make sure the BIOS is set to allow the cd-rom as first boot. When the computer boots from the CD-ROm windows XP will start it's installation process. It will detect for existing OSinstalls, simply press escape to perform a fresh install. Make sure you delete the existing partitions and install XP on a new partition. You can do this in the setup :) no reboot is necessary. Follow the instructions and there you go.

It is possible that the wrong driver is loaded and thus your screen is not the proper size. Windows XP will load the necessary drivers to complete the installation however you may have to check and see if all drivers loaded properly. You can find it by rightclicking my computer and click manage. In the left pane click device manager and anything with a yellow exclaimation point means the driver is not installed.

Have no fear as once you can get yourself online you can go to dell support site to download the necessary drivers.

Don't forget to update Windows ;)

Good luck, post if you need more help

Good news

Because you bought a copy of windows XP this should be straight forward.  Put the CD in and boot the computer, Make sure the BIOS is set to allow the cd-rom as first boot.  When the computer boots from the CD-ROm windows XP will start it's installation process.  It will detect for existing OSinstalls, simply press escape to perform a fresh install.  Make sure you delete the existing partitions and install XP on a new partition.  You can do this in the setup  :) no reboot is necessary.  Follow the instructions and there you go.

It is possible that the wrong driver is loaded and thus your screen is not the proper size.  Windows XP will load the necessary drivers to complete the installation however you may have to check and see if all drivers loaded properly.  You can find it by rightclicking my computer and click manage.  In the left pane click device manager and anything with a yellow exclaimation point means the driver is not installed. 

Have no fear as once you can get yourself online you can go to dell support site to download the necessary drivers.

Don't forget to update Windows  ;)

Good luck,  post if you need more help

397449[/snapback]

QUOTE(rickman @ Jan 17 2005, 11:31 AM)

Good news

Because you bought a copy of windows XP this should be straight forward.  Put the CD in and boot the computer, Make sure the BIOS is set to allow the cd-rom as first boot.  When the computer boots from the CD-ROm windows XP will start it's installation process.  It will detect for existing OSinstalls, simply press escape to perform a fresh install.  Make sure you delete the existing partitions and install XP on a new partition.  You can do this in the setup  smile.gif no reboot is necessary.  Follow the instructions and there you go.

It is possible that the wrong driver is loaded and thus your screen is not the proper size.  Windows XP will load the necessary drivers to complete the installation however you may have to check and see if all drivers loaded properly.  You can find it by rightclicking my computer and click manage.  In the left pane click device manager and anything with a yellow exclaimation point means the driver is not installed.

Don't forget to update Windows  wink.gif

Good luck,  post if you need more help

401500[/snapback]

why did u just post only a quote?

why did u just post only a quote?

401507[/snapback]

I have no idea how that happened. I am new to this forum and I was replying to thank the person who gave the informatio. I do not know if the ideas will work because I have not tried yet. I always thank people for helping. I also said I was sorry I did not get back sooner but, I had been unavailable. I have been ill. I also would appreciate any other thoughts on my problem if there are other solutions. I am having problems removing an OS from a hard drive on a computer I was given and installing a legal version of windows xp. I also have had the size of the screen on the Dell CPi given to me shrink when the xp was put on and do not know how to get it back to full screen. I appreciate your note on my reply posting and hope I do better in the future.