Trying To Make A Game Server

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me suggest an alternative - the MSI K8T Master2-FAR is a workstation level board and you can run a single FX-51 or Opteron 24x processor with the possibility of adding a second 24x at a later date. It will also offer more overclocking options than a server board.

Let me suggest an alternative - the MSI K8T Master2-FAR is a workstation level board and you can run a single FX-51 or Opteron 24x processor with the possibility of adding a second 24x at a later date. It will also offer more overclocking options than a server board.

1. Good luck finding a matching CPU when you decide to buy another

2. That board is more expensive, and also requires a server PSU

3. Server boards are alot more stable than workstation boards

nemo:

nice i can use one now and when i want... add another

question tho...will i have to add more memory to the board then?

say i have 1x512 right now and i add another opteron...would i have to add another 512 or would both cpu's use the single 512...if they did that would prolly bottleneck really bad...right?

EDIT: so wait... MSI bad board then???

Edited by phatazzmoose

Let me add a couple more things...

1. To add a second CPU, you would need to find one in the exact same batch for it to work.

2. The MSI board shares a single memory bank between the CPU's which can lead to a bottleneck.

Edited by Paranoid

i think he's kinda doing this for fun...also if he rented his server out a lil bit he could easily have the system paid off and then it'll pay for the t3-t1 line he prolly gonna get running into his house...

148's will only work in single CPU systems.

To add a second CPU if you got a 2xx series chip, you'd need to find one in the same batch, and that would be a pain in the ..

As far as renting, you pay somebody money every month, but when you decide you don't want it anymore, you end up with nothing to show for it. Building your own server, you have the hardware, and you can do whatever you want with it,