dell vostro 270, 3 monitors

Mr.Si

Dear all, I have a Dell vostro 270 at work with the standard on board graphics that has 1x hdmi and 1x vga outputs enabling me to have 2 monitors, but I wish to connect a 3rd monitor and not being a hardware guru I don't know there best way to do it.

I have a pci express x16 card with 2x dvi outs on it and was thinking that I cod add that to the system to utilise both dvi outputs, plus the hdmi from the on board. Would this be possible or wood it freak out the computer?

unfortunately this above mentioned card is too long for the small tower as the hdd bay is in the way, so I need a short card with 2x dvi ports.

the computer runs windows 8.1.

As long as the card isn't very high power draw (most anything that doesn't require extra power beyond the PCI Express slot should be fine) then you should be OK.  Most setups will run the intel integrated along with an add in card just fine. You MAY have to set the integrated as the default in BIOS though as some motherboards will disable the integrated GPU if it detects an add in card.  

So in short it might take a little extra work to get it initially working but it should work just fine.