AMD FX-6300 Stable with All Tests, But Flash Video Causes Black Screen

m52db17

Hi All,

I have an AMD FX-6300 that I have OC'd in BIOS to get to 4.37 GHz using 21 Multi and 208 Bus at 1.39375V.  It is stable for all gaming that I have done and it passes the Intel Burn Test.  However, when I watch a flash video in either Firefox or Chrome, my computer will go to a black screen and restart usually within the first 2 minutes.  Before it restarts, I hear this noise that sounds like electricity discharge and then I hear the HDD spinning up - and this usually occurs a couple of times before the reboot.  At first I thought this may have been a RAM stability problem, but my RAM passed RAM TEST with no errors.  I originally suspected the RAM because this problem generally occurs much sooner in a Flash Video when I try to run my ram at 1866 MHz as opposed to 1600 MHz; however, it eventually happens at both speeds.  I have tried many different NB clocks, voltages, etc.  My system was stable when it was run at all default settings - this only started happening since I have OC'd.

Any help would be appreciated!

Here are my settings in BIOS:

CPU Clock: 4.368 GHz
CPU Multi: 21x

CPU Bus: 208 MHz

Turbo: Disabled

Ram: 1664 MHz; Also tried ~1866 with other Bus CLK

RAM Volt: 1.5

NB Clock: 2.496 GHz; Also tried Auto (2GHz)

NB Volt: 1.2; Also tried AUTO

HT Clock: 2.496 GHz; Also tried Auto (2GHz)

RAM Timings: 9-9-9-24-2T; Also tried 9-10-9-28-1T, Auto (11-11-11-28)

Here is my hardware:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX  AM3+ Motherboard - I added heat sinks to all VRMs
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Rosewill Green Series 630 W

First step is to reduce the overclock and see if it holds then. Keep reducing until the issue vanishes, if it is still there then the issue is elsewhere. When you overclock the easiest thing to check is always the overclock.

• Like 1