Cpu - AMD Athlon ii x4 635

Mobo - M4N68T-M LE V2 .

Cpu cooler - cooler master hyper 212

Psu - Cooler master extreme 600W

Ram - Corsair vengeance 1600 mhz

Gpu - Zotac GTX 560

Thanks...

Edited by devil_666

!!!!!WARNING!!!!!! - Do this at your own risk.

OC'ing 101 - Noob steps.

Tools: some sort of benchmarking tool and temp. display. I use Performance Test and BurnIn Test by Passmark software. Or a new demanding game like Crysis 2, Dirt 3, RAGE, BF3, etc

There is plenty to choose from but your focuse is RAM and CPU. For CPU temps. most manufactures include some software if not again there is plenty to choose from.

Note: If you want to test your OC'ing the fun way play a demanding game, but expect crashes.

1. Locate the follwing in your BIOS : CPU mutliplier or ratio setting, BCLK, FSB, and DRAMM timings or latency.

Note: Some BIOS also give you the option to select DRAM Freq. by ram speed. IE: 1066, 1333, 1600, etc.

Now your BIOS. Take time and look around, but don't touch just yet.

2. Gather the following information: RAM timings and voltage (see manufacture web site), and CPU max temp.

Note : RAM timing should be around 9-9-9-24 and voltage around 1.5v. Plesae note FACTORY settings.

3. I recommend you unplug your harddrive (HDD), you will be doing alot of rebooting and hard booting (shutdown for 20sec then power back up)

4. Enter BIOS. Hard set (set yourself) your RAM timings to factory timings and reboot. Do not worry about the voltage right now.

Note : Unless your system doesn't boot with the factory timings. You will have to hard set your VDIMM or DRAM voltage to factory settings.

It always recommended that you set RAM timings and voltage to factory settings. To get the most from your RAM. Up to you though.

5. If your system successfully reboots with the factory RAM timings then do a hard boot. Turn off system for 20sec then power back up.

Note: If your system does not boot with factory timings you might have to set the DRAMM voltage to factory settings if you haven't done so.

If no luck try increasing your timings. IE: boot 1: 10-9-9-24, boot 2: 9-10-9-24, boot 3: 9-9-10-24, boot 4: 9-9-9-25, etc. until successful boot.

Note: If you have to increase your timings; make sure you RAM is compatible with your motherboard.

-------------------------- If your RAM timings are set to factory timings please continue, if not OC'ing might be work than fun-----------------------------------------

6. Now that your RAM timings are set we can OC. I always like to start with the CPU speed just to see how fast I can get it to go. Don't expect much at first.

7. In BIOS, locate your CPU multiplier or ratio settings. You might want to refer to your manual to know the min and max ratio.

Increase your ratio by 1; save and exit. Try hard boot if seccussful reboot. Continue increasing by 1 until your system will not reboot, you max out your ratio or temp to high.

Note: After increasing your CPU by 500mhz or +2 ratio check your CPU temp in the BIOS. There should be some sort of hardward monitoring with in BIOS.

Make sure you temp Idles a max of 45~50c or 115~120F. At a room temp of 70F or 32C. !!!KEEP A EYE ON THE CPU TEMP!!! Do not go over 160F or 70C.

Could fry the CPU. See manufacture web site for offical max temp.

8. Once you have found out what max CPU speed has good temp and hard boots; please note it.

9. Test your new CPU speed. Reconnect your HDD and run a benchmark. If you choose to play a game you will have to test it for about 1 hour.

Note: Try to have some sort Temp program for windows. You need to keep a eye on the CPU temp when testing. Make sure the temp does not go above factory max temp.

if so you will have to down clock.

10. Once you have seccussfully found your CPU OC speed the doesn't exceed max factory temp under heavy load or crash after or during testing. Then its time to do a extended

test. I recommend this to ensure 100% system stability. Prime 95 seems to be the choice software, but any burn in program should do. Also gaming is a fun way to test.

Test your system for at least 8 ~ 24hrs. With no power downs. Only reboot if crash or need to down clock.

Let me know how this works for you. If you can achieve this I can help OC your system further.

Again don't expect huge results at this time. Hit me up it you wanna take your system to its limits. Any question let me know.

ThInK192

I have Intel, so I'm not sure if this the same for AMD. But There is a max to your baseclock which your CPU can handle. So longer you multiplier and see how high your baseclock can go and then calculate what a good baseclock good be, think about your memory aswell. Memory has the same baseclock as the CPU.

Hi thanks for the reply..

i have checked in the bios and the max multiplier is x14.5

I can get the bus speed upto 214 x 14.5 so i have got the slight overclock of 3.1 ghz from the stock 2.9 ghz with the default voltage and it is stable with those settings

I have my ram speed manually set to 800 mhz and the ram timings are 9-9-9-24-34 FSB:DRAM - 1:4

i have also attached a screen shot of CPUZ

post-78643-0-81841900-1320584267_thumb.jpg

I think you can overclock you CPU more, but I'm not sure. Like I said I have Intel. But with my i7 960 I got it form 3.2 to 4.0 Ghz with ease, I think I'll be able to hit 4.5 aswell. So 0.2 Ghz seems like a small overclock.