First Overclocking

Endevor

Specs of my machine should be below. (Yes, you can make fun of the graphics card, the build is slowly getting better.)

I successfully completed my first overclocking, and am very excited about it. The water cooling system I have installed is doing an excellent job at the moment of handling the heat, so I don't think so far that's a big concern of mine, though the motherboard itself is getting pretty hot.

I overclocked it to 4GHz using AMDs overdrive's auto-tune system which allowed me to push it as high as 4.2 before bluescreening. I would suggest this approach to anyone using AMD and overclocking for the first time since I tried doing it through the BIOS and more or less didn't understand fully what I was getting into, resulting in multiple failures.

My questions now I guess would be maintaining this. I know cooling is a big issue, but it seems I got that taken care of for now. Would putting it to 4.2 hurt it in the long run and is it worth it? Right now I'm not doing anything too strenuous, mostly because I don't have a graphics card to handle it, but also since I'm new to this, I'm being cautious with what I run. Overdrive says I'm stable up to 4.2, but just to play a little safe, I only went to 4. Anyone else with a Phenom II x4 have any suggestions about overclocking and, curiosity, has anyone pushed it higher? Would a newer motherboard help in overclocking, in handling more? Can the x6 OC higher? Essentially, my next upgrade needs to be my PSU so I can support a higher end graphics card, but with the equipment I have now, any suggestions on what I need to be working on to get the most power out of my machine would be awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Specs of my machine should be below. (Yes, you can make fun of the graphics card, the build is slowly getting better.)

I successfully completed my first overclocking, and am very excited about it. The water cooling system I have installed is doing an excellent job at the moment of handling the heat, so I don't think so far that's a big concern of mine, though the motherboard itself is getting pretty hot.

I overclocked it to 4GHz using AMDs overdrive's auto-tune system which allowed me to push it as high as 4.2 before bluescreening. I would suggest this approach to anyone using AMD and overclocking for the first time since I tried doing it through the BIOS and more or less didn't understand fully what I was getting into, resulting in multiple failures.

My questions now I guess would be maintaining this. I know cooling is a big issue, but it seems I got that taken care of for now. Would putting it to 4.2 hurt it in the long run and is it worth it? Right now I'm not doing anything too strenuous, mostly because I don't have a graphics card to handle it, but also since I'm new to this, I'm being cautious with what I run. Overdrive says I'm stable up to 4.2, but just to play a little safe, I only went to 4. Anyone else with a Phenom II x4 have any suggestions about overclocking and, curiosity, has anyone pushed it higher? Would a newer motherboard help in overclocking, in handling more? Can the x6 OC higher? Essentially, my next upgrade needs to be my PSU so I can support a higher end graphics card, but with the equipment I have now, any suggestions on what I need to be working on to get the most power out of my machine would be awesome.

jus

what are your max temps? If you want to maintain this overclock i suggest you stop using the OS based overclocking methods and move into the bios. this will give you a much more stable overclock. Also what programs have you used to test stability? AMD overdrive has been known to put insane amounts of voltage on the CPU's. If you want to compare i got my phenom 955 to 4.1GHz on 1.38volts but remember every chip is different.