PC-70 Case mod project

Hi guys, I'm doing a case mod.

Case: Lianli PC-70 Aluminium Full Tower

Colour Scheme : Internal Black + Green Lighitngs

: External : Haven't decided. The Brush Aluminium finish looks nice but I think it might look better if its black. What do you guys suggest?

Paint: Was thinking of Powdercoating, would come up to 200sgd but two additional problems, the person doing it said that the finish won't be great and doesn't recommend powdercoating the exterior. Also, the case fits perfectly and I've heard that powdercoating adds thickness which would affect the fitting. Should I just spray paint the internal black? I've done mods on steel cases but not on aluminium, any painting guide for aluminium?

Lightings : Decided to go with NuclearTec El Cable (http://s.lowyat.net/uploads//attach-91/post-17891-1174581357.jpg). I could add another LED tube if its not bright enough.

Case design:

i) Am planning to cut the top panel for my radiator. (Should I do 4x120? Planning on upgrading the rad later on down the road and would it be better to just cut the holes for the rad now?)

(also, if I cut the extra holes now, what should I use to cover it up?)

ii) This case has 2x 80 mm fans infront, am planning to change it to 1x 140mm, what do you guys think? I will have to drill some holes for the intake though. (There are 4 slots for 80mm fans at the back of the case)

iii) Power Up button, am planning to change it to something nicer. Two ideas I have right now are

a) Ignition key (like how you start a car)

b) A military switch (flick it up or down to turn on/off)

Really appreciate any advice, thanks everyone.

Hey Jiv

I like the ignition key idea. Keys are nice and soft too. I butchered a key with dollar-store files. They polish up really nicely. Turned out all right. It's got me thinking about the Overclockers Club logo. I was lucky, and the key I had to work with had a nice big head area.

Don't know much about painting, other than rattle cans. And I just follow the directions on whatever paint I buy. I like the rat/bobber, flat black look. A little pin striping...

I look forward to seeing some pic's, once you've made some progress. The case is a nice, big, canvas. I checked out some on YouTube.

's all good

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Jiv

I like the ignition key idea. Keys are nice and soft too. I butchered a key with dollar-store files. They polish up really nicely. Turned out all right. It's got me thinking about the Overclockers Club logo. I was lucky, and the key I had to work with had a nice big head area.

Don't know much about painting, other than rattle cans. And I just follow the directions on whatever paint I buy. I like the rat/bobber, flat black look. A little pin striping...

I look forward to seeing some pic's, once you've made some progress. The case is a nice, big, canvas. I checked out some on YouTube.

's all good

Hey thanks. Just got back from college and am having some time off to work on the project. Need some advice from you guys.

Its almost impossible to find etching primer in Singapore and Malaysia! I went to 13 paint shops and they dont have etching primer. In the end I manage to find this

"Nexa Autocolor P565-13483"

The thing is, this is in liquid form. Is there anyway for me to spray paint it?

The interior colour I've decided on is 'Sparkling Black' and the exterior will remain Brushed aluminum.

edit:

Would this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Billet-Aluminum-Reusable-Spray/dp/B002D3WXMU

Edited by Jiv

The PC-70 is an amazing case, I still have mine. They actually released a 71 which was a black version of the 70 as well as some similar cases that all looked sweet. I just couldn't part with mine. :D Having it cut was hard enough.

Image 1 Image 2

You can see on mine, I cut into the front to open the fan grills. I was going to add modder's mesh here but never had the chance, and I ended up buying a replacement front plate. The biggest issue there was that stupid USB connection under it.

I wouldn't pre-cut the top until you had the parts in hand and could confirm the measurements on it. I almost did the same thing, and had plans on using modder's mesh to cover it up. I also like the ignition key, I did one on a different system and it was pretty nice.

I'd also suggest replacing the LEDs for Power / HDD so they don't stand out... you can see the blue LED is kind of distracting on mine compared to all of the RED.

To light up my case, it was mainly red LED fans, and a few lazer LEDs (these) that I used Velcro tape and secured to the case panel.

The PC-70 is an amazing case, I still have mine. They actually released a 71 which was a black version of the 70 as well as some similar cases that all looked sweet. I just couldn't part with mine. :D Having it cut was hard enough.

Image 1 Image 2

You can see on mine, I cut into the front to open the fan grills. I was going to add modder's mesh here but never had the chance, and I ended up buying a replacement front plate. The biggest issue there was that stupid USB connection under it.

I wouldn't pre-cut the top until you had the parts in hand and could confirm the measurements on it. I almost did the same thing, and had plans on using modder's mesh to cover it up. I also like the ignition key, I did one on a different system and it was pretty nice.

I'd also suggest replacing the LEDs for Power / HDD so they don't stand out... you can see the blue LED is kind of distracting on mine compared to all of the RED.

To light up my case, it was mainly red LED fans, and a few lazer LEDs (these) that I used Velcro tape and secured to the case panel.

Wow, I really like what you did with the front 2x 80mms! I was thinking of cutting one 140mm (120mm) slot and use that instead of 2 x 80mms.

Hahaa, I've already most of the holes, 2 x 120mm top, some cable management holes etc. (Used the parts to measure, just havent uploaded the pictures just yet).

I'm going to go with a green internal lightings. PSU fan has been modded (removed the blue for green leds), got a green cable like led.

I understand what you mean about cutting it though. The quality and feeling of the case is really amazing, especially when compared to my old NZXT Guardian 921!

Right now I'm stuck with 3 major problems.

i) primer

ii) front fans design

iii) Should I use green led fans for the radiator? I'm currently using Gentle Typhoons.

Any advice? Thanks mate

Right now I'm stuck with 3 major problems.

i) primer

ii) front fans design

iii) Should I use green led fans for the radiator? I'm currently using Gentle Typhoons.

Any advice? Thanks mate

i) Can't help there. Sorry.

ii) The larger fan may be quieter than 2 smaller fans. Just keep in mind the HDD cage and check to see if you have room first.

iii) I would use green LEDs on the radiator since that is the color you are going with... I would also probably put a green LED light behind/under the reservoir.

i) Can't help there. Sorry.

ii) The larger fan may be quieter than 2 smaller fans. Just keep in mind the HDD cage and check to see if you have room first.

iii) I would use green LEDs on the radiator since that is the color you are going with... I would also probably put a green LED light behind/under the reservoir.

ii) I'm actually really interested in what you did with yours! If I could get a nice design in the front, I might be able to pull it off. (If only the fans were higher! They'd make perfect skull eyes) Do you mind if I do something similar to yours?

iii) I've already bought a new reservoir with Green led. Using Green Led fans would be cool, but would the performance drop be worth it?

a) Use Green Led Fans

b) Mod the gentle typhoons and place insert green leds in them? (This would definitely void the warranty, but would it damage the fan?)