connect CoolerMaster Hyper TX3's 4-pin to 3-pin connector

ramik

With summer, I changed the cooler of my system (Signature) from the stock AMD that came with the Opteron 165 processor (a Foxxcon 4 heatpipes, copper base with aluminium fins), and got myself a CoolerMaster Hyper TX 3, one of the few that i found that still support 939 sockets.

But there is one problem (well, 2 in my case):

1- This hsf has a 4-pin connector, and the motherboard has only 3 pin connectors, so 1 pin should be unused, the guides on the 4pin seems to connect the correct 3 pins from the 4.

2- the DFI UT nf4-UltraD's 3pin connector for the CPU fan is near a capacitor, and the 4-pin of the cooler master can't be inserted in the CPU fan connector.

Anyway to get the system working i installed the CPU fan connector to the 'FAN 2' connector (the PWM fan) and everything seems to work, playing the the bios options of the PWM temp i reached a good point where the motherboard control the cpu fan as if it is the case fan, varying from 900 rpm to 2800, good enough for now.

if i want to mode the 4 pin connector, can i simply cut the 4th unused pin? what is it for? the fan already reports speed and get its speed controlled. so what is it for?

Anyway, i am already satisfied with this Hyper TX3, temperature dropped by nearly 10 degrees on full load, with stock fan CPU temp used to reach 68 °C, since yesterday the max i saw was 56, in addition to be much quieter...

It's working, but i'd like to have it say CPU fan :)

seeing the pinout, the unused pin is the CONTROL, so if it's not connected how is the speed varying? mobo is controlling by changing voltage?

update:

better to connect to cpu header, as this morning the case was cold and the fan went off for few seconds !!!