Help Lowering Vcore (Maybe)

Born2rade

Hi Guys. I have a 12 hour 100% load 4.168 Ghz OC. My Vcore is @ 1.3875. I have DO Core i7 920.

I will list my Bios settings below. Maybe someone can help me out get a possible lower Vcore, it would be nice :). I have tried to lower my

Vcore but everytime i do intel burn test, my screen would go black after about 1-3 mins and i would have to restart.

My Idle temps are good. Always below 40c. I do have Liquid Cooling.

Frequency Control

CPU Clock Ratio (20X)

CPU Host Frequency(Mhz) (199)

MCH Strap (Auto)

CPU Uncore Frequency 16x

CPU Clock Skew (0 ps)

Spread Spectrum (Disabled)

PCIE Frequency (Mhz) 105

Memory Feature

Memory Speed (Standard)

Memory Control Setting (Enabled)

Memory Frequency 1067Mhz 2:8

Channel Interleave Setting (6 Way)

Rank Interleave Setting (4 Way)

Memory Low Gap (Auto)

tCL Setting (9)

tRCD Setting (9)

tRP Setting (9)

tRAS Setting (24)

tRFC Setting (74)

Command Rate (1t)

Voltage Control

EVGA VDroop Control (With Out VDroop)

CPU VCore 1.3875

CPU VTT Voltage ( +150mV )

CPU PLL VCore 1.8

IOH PLL VCore 1.8

DIMM Voltage 1.65

DIMM DQ Vref (+0mV)

QPI PLL VCore 1.275

IOH VCore 1.275

IOH/ICH I/O Voltage 1.55

ICH VCore 1.125

PWM Frequency (800 Khz)

CPU impedance (Auto) (Chip Didnt Like Less)

QPI signal (Auto) (Chip Didnt Like Less)

CPU Feature

Intel SpeedStep (Disabled)

Turbo Mode Function (Enabled)

CxE Function (Disabled)

Execute Disable Bit (Disabled)

Virtualization Technology (Enabled)

Intel HT Technology (Enabled )

Active Processor Cores (All)

QPI Control Settings (Enabled)

QPI Link Fast Mode (Enabled)

QPI Frequency Selection 4.8GT/s

OC Recorvery (Enabled)

PnP/PCI PCI Express

Maximum Payload Size (128)

Did you set the 20x multiplier in the bios? If you did you should be able to put it on auto and it should go to 21 with turbo boost enabled. Set you bclk @ 195 and lower your vcore voltage to 1.24v. Your memory voltage looks ok. leave the rest on auto. If it boots and is stable try testing it. If it's not stable bump the vcore .2 at a time but it should be good @ 1.24-1.26v. If your happy with it @ 21x195 you can try lowering your ram timings to 8-8-8-24. That should bring your ram to 1600MHz or very close to it. If you want to go higher then leave your ram timings on auto. One of the quirks of the i7 is that for some reason they like odd number multipliers so you should do better with a 21x than a 20x. Good luck.

FWIW you can look at the CPU validation in my sig and see that I gave you basically the same settings that I'm using but YMMV. Every chip is different.

Yeah i set it to 20x and it shows that it is 21x on CPUz. i guess that is b/c of TM. What does Blck mean btw?

On EVGA E-Leet on the overclocking tab, core1 shows x22.

Can only set it to 12 through 20 multiplier. When i set it to 20 it shows the target to 199x21 not 20.

Edited by Born2rade

What do you think?

*Edit* Ok well i lowered my OC to 3.8Ghz, 181x21. Apparently 3.8ghz doesnt mind the lower Vcore.

I set my vcore to 1.26250, I'm running intel burn test right now. No black screen so far.

Perhaps when i'm at 195x21, maybe something else needs to be changed to keep the lower vcore or something.

Edited by Born2rade

What do you think?

*Edit* Ok well i lowered my OC to 3.8Ghz, 181x21. Apparently 3.8ghz doesnt mind the lower Vcore.

I set my vcore to 1.26250, I'm running intel burn test right now. No black screen so far.

Perhaps when i'm at 195x21, maybe something else needs to be changed to keep the lower vcore or something.

Here is the guide I used to set mine up. There should be some tweaks there that will help you.

Do you have your vid card overclocked? I'm not familiar with overclocking them because I'm not a gamer but that could also be part of the problem. Might be worth checking into.

Edited by nanoprobe