My Q9550 Is Running Way Too Hot

Dave W.

I've reseated the stock cooler a few times using generic thermal paste because that's all i could find in any stores around here. I am buying another heat sink and i'll pick up some arctic silver with it.

I only seated the new heatsink once and i used the thermal paste that came pre-applied.

Does the entire cpu have to be covered with the thermal paste? I think i did use too much the first time i reseated the stock cooler but the thermal paste came pre-applied to the alpine 7 i bought so i don't think too much paste is the issue.

I've reseated the stock cooler a few times using generic thermal paste because that's all i could find in any stores around here. I am buying another heat sink and i'll pick up some arctic silver with it.

I only seated the new heatsink once and i used the thermal paste that came pre-applied.

Does the entire cpu have to be covered with the thermal paste? I think i did use too much the first time i reseated the stock cooler but the thermal paste came pre-applied to the alpine 7 i bought so i don't think too much paste is the issue.

Alright....hmm....what HS are you planning on getting? I really hate the 775 stock HSF mounting system with the push pins....not quite sure what Intel was thinking with that one. Depending on what you get you may have to install a back plate and apply the HS with screws which IMO are much better than the clips.

Good luck