Overclocking E8500 Temps/ Frequency

Akenix

since no one has asked, what thermal paste did you use? i would suggest arctic silver ceramique at the least, that's always been good enough for me and that way i don't have to shell out the extra cash for as5, which may get you 1 or 2 degrees after it's fully burnt in.

but the folks are right - just like a brand new car/motorcycle you don't wanna run the thing at it's maximum potential right out of the box. the best thing to do is follow a burn-in procedure. at those current clocks or maybe around 3.3 or 3.4, run at least a 12 hour prime95. step it up 50-100mhz, and run another 12-24 hour prime95 (assuming it passes each one). another 50-100mhz, another 12-24 hours. this is how i burn in a processor - once i fail a prime95 i back it down to the last known good clock that passed, and run it up only 20mhz each time. i keep it on stock voltage during burn in. once i've reached it's max on stock volts, i knock the voltage up one or two ticks and follow the same process, 20 mhz at a time until you fail another prime95. back it back down again, knock voltage up, etc - etc. i wouldn't let the voltage get above 1.4 on air, but that's playing it safe.

this process has proven worthy for me on all of my chips, back to my day where i started with my amd thunderbird 1400+.

4ghz is definitely achievable with an E8500 and probably even capable of more, assuming you have the other components (ram, power supply, good motherboard) to be stable at those clocks.

cheers.

And if 1 more question for you ocmooz, if i put it to manual voltage and put it at 1.26, and try to clock but the clock is too high, will it just keep it at 1.33 or will it crash?

Cheers,

Ryan

The voltage won't change back unless you do it and like turophiliac said it won't even post. Your best bet when you try and OC again is to give it a little more voltage only when it isn't stable(or won't post). By doing this along with increasing the FSB a little at a time you can find good minimum voltages for your overclock and thus reduce heat(and power consumption). Good luck and I hope it all works out for you. ;)