e6420 question

disko33

Not sure if this is really the right forum to be asking this in - but does anyone here know if the C2D E6420 will actually be available from online stores such as Newegg/Zipzoomfly/etc right on 4/22, or is that date only for OEM's such as Dell, Gateway and the like, and then retail outlets get them later? I've just been waiting for months already to upgrade one of my Opteron setups and finally try out the C2D's, and don't know how much longer I can hold off! They say patience is a virtue, but I'm not so sure its one of my mine.

If its going to be until the end of May or something until online stores have the new chips, I may just bite the bullet and get a e6300 or e6400 now - the reviews I have seen seem to suggest the extra 2mb of cache doesn't make a huge difference. However, if they are available to buy retail chips right on 4/22, then I mind as well just wait, get the extra cache, plus save some money. I guess if I've waited this long, a few extra weeks won't hurt.

Any thoughts?

From what I've seen, the e6420 is supposed to be about $185 at launch, and the e6400 is now about $220 - so less than a $40 difference. I think I'll just hold off, save the money, and pray that they do in fact come out later this month. I also don't know how the e6420 will overclock, so that is a risk with waiting - however I don't see them significantly worse than a standard e6400.