Temp Accuracy with BIOS vs SG or CoreTemp?

baronvonimel

I just got my 4200+ x2 windsor stable at 2.706 - ran through 8+ hours of orthos with no errors and it is passing everything just fine. I have been using CoreTemp v.94 to monitor the temps and core#0 and core#1 fluctuate between 42-45 for one core and 45-53 for the other. I started getting curious and installed SmartGuardian and it is showing 60+ on load and about 8-10 degrees higher than CoreTemp on Idle. I know SG is notoriously inaccurate but that kinda worried me. I also booted and checked the PC health at BIOS and it looks like it is idling around 47-50 on the BIOS temps.

Question is, how accurate is the BIOS temp vs CoreTemp or SG? Is the BIOS temp the most accurate or does it use the analog diode connection with large margin of error? I set my shutdown temp in the BIOS to 70 and never had a shutdown during testing so I guess BIOS never registered it that high but it kinda worries me. I would like to keep it at 2.7 but I really don't want to be running hot... any suggestions?

couple of threads around here on NF590 temps.

In a nutshell, download the latest NextSensor here http://cbid.amdclub.ru/files/nxsensor.zip

Go under the control section and select DFI NF590.

Then go back to Status and it will display the correct Temps and voltages

Yes, the Cores often report differences in temp.

Yes, SG reports higher CPU temps on this board.

But a lot of guys with NF590s have tried it and it works great. :)

Ok will do as soon as I get home. - do you know about that BIOS temp? That is the one that worries me the most... seems like it would be the accurate one cuz its in the BIOS but maybe thats just an illusion to me. Is it pulling the same info as Smart Guardian or are BIOS temps more reliable?

Thanks for the help!

Coretemp will give you the most accurate temps out of any program as it reads directly from the onboard sensor built into the cpu. Anything else uses a sensor on the mobo that could be located frankly anywhere based on the manufacturer. My friend had a board with the sensor next to the NB, no where near the cpu.

Thanks for the replies.. I got NextSensor and ran it up next to Core Temp during load and both readings are almost exactly the same on this system. I feel pretty comfortable with the readings now that I have two programs that are known to be decently accurate agreeing with each other.