Faster = bad?! Memory problems!

Guest RohypnoL_merged

Guest RohypnoL

Okay, well.. I've recently hit 3Ghz prime stable with my godly 3700+ here (thank you, thank you) but I've got a bit of a problem: my RAM doesn't like me. If I try to run it at its rated speed of 2-2-2-5 @ 250Mhz, it seems to go wayyyyy too fast and be unstable.

For example, I was talking to Viking about this earlier and looking at his OCDB entry. His BH-5 was doing ~7000Mb/s read, while mine, with the EXACT same BIOS, settings, timings, voltages, multipliers etc, etc, was doing 7700!?! I tried loosening everything a bit because I know that I can't expect the exact same results even if he does have similar hardware, but I just don't get it. The same goes if I try to run it 1:1 @ 250 Mhz.

Any tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Guest RohypnoL

Well I'm not complaining about the benchmarks, but more the instability. I'd love to have 7700Mb/s read but it does me crap if my PC crashes before I can even fire up a game!

Guest RohypnoL
Maybe it´s because of your high HTT (1200)? Are you stable in Memtest/Memtest for Windows? Is your CPU stable, how did you tested your 13.5h prime stable settings?

So many questions...

Gipse

Ah, need to update my sig. I put HTT divider on auto and it went to 3x, so that's not a problem. I'll have to try out memtest at my current speeds but I know sure as hell I'm not stable with my ram at 250Mhz. I did 13.5 hours prime stable with the settings in my sig.

Hi.. have you considered going to 2T command rate? That might give you some stability.. Keep playing with it.. You are doing great :)

Guest RohypnoL

Okay, I've been messing with my tREF values as they seem to be a big factor in this. I set it to 0016 and got this:

Guest RohypnoL

Okay, I've been messing with my tREF values as they seem to be a/the culprit in this. I put it to 0016 and my latency is 85 (norm is high 30s) and bandwidth is near ~1000. Now, that's a slow down but a bit more than I anticipated.