E6400 Hit the Wall at 3.16GHz...Please Advise

cadjock

I first want to thank "Angry", "Raju" and the rest of you for helping to make this forum the best source for DFI overclocking info ! I was lost untill I found the "975 O'Clocking Mini Guide" that Raju started. Thank you so much for providing starting point info !!!

I am running the hardware listed in my SIG and have "Hit the Wall" at 3.16GHz and am not sure just how far I can "Push the Performance Envelope".

Here are my last working settings:

FSB 395 X 8 =3.16GHz

Memory settings 4-4-4-12, Memory speed = 533

PCIE CLOCK = 118

CPU VID OFFSET = 150.0

CPU VTT VOLTAGE = 1.35V

DRAM VOLT SETTING = 2.45V

NB CHIP VOLT SETTING = 1.75V

The other settings are per "975 O'Clocking Mini Guide".

TEMPS:

System 38C

CPU 45C

NB 42C

When I increase the FSB to 400 x 8 XP locks up on boot. My Bios settings remain and are net reset so I hit the reset button and make a change.

My last change was to increase CPU VID OFFSET = 162.5 but XP still locks up part way thru boot.

I am afraid to increase CPU VID OFFSET and the DRAM VOLT SET as I don't know if I have reached a limit. I am at the limit for the NB chip voltage and the CPU VTT Voltage.

<<< CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ADVISE ON A LIMIT FOR THESE SETTINGS ?? >>>

and or suggest alternate settings..............

Could a change to the memory settings get me a little further?? I've read where some advise to leave all settings on AUTO except set the Memory Speed = 533.

Any other direction would also be greatly appreciated! Gotta love these C2D's!!! 1 GHz over stock. I am so "Stoked" over this DFI/C2D combo! It's a huge change from my old P4-2.4Ghz.

Many Thanks in advance!

CADJOCK

First thing you're going to want to do is flash to a newer bios, the latest greatly improves your max FSB. It's on DFI's official website.

Note that this fixes many of the issues that were needed for Raju's guide, a lot of the problems we found early on apparently have been taken care of so you might want to use more Auto settings with the newer bios.

a) Put that PCI-E clock down. Are you nuts? :P back to 100 for PCI-E and 33.3 for PCI.

B) Try 1.55v CPU.

c) Try lowest RAM divider possible. Yes, I'm serious, I can't even go over 2.6 GHz with RAM running over DDR800 on the 975 chipset, so use the DDR400 divider(if there is one), and try 440-450 FSB at 1.55v CPU.

Yes, you would be running your RAM below stock, but.. 3.6 GHz vs 3.1 GHz is so much greater a difference in real world performance than DDR800 vs DDR677.

Thanks to the 3 of you for the suggestions!!!

Technodanvan: I am using the latest DFI Bios. I have a typo in the sig which I will correct.

Kingcarlos: I did increase VCOR and set the memory timings to your suggestion. I was able to advance to 400 X 8 = 3.2GHz. Thanks!

Thasp: I reduced the PCI-E clock to 100 and left all other settings the same but the computer wouldn't post. I was able to get it running again with a setting of 110.

After achieving 3.21GHz I though I'd take your advise, moving to the 400 divider. I left the settings the same and entered a 440 FSB on the 400 divider but the computer wouldn't post. Actually, something happened with XP and I am forced to reload from scratch.

Are my other settings acceptable with the 400 mem speed or am I forgetting to adjust something?

CADJOCK