3 LEDs, beeps and no image on boot.

some times I just don't understand some of you Guys way of thinking. Why in the world would to tell someone new to flash a bios when they ant even stable enough to load the OS

The train of thought of most of us, and correctly so, is that the BIOS is the interface and control of just about everything that is attached to the MOBO and the MOBO itself.. BIOS stands for Basic Input Output System. An uncorrupted, working BIOS is needed to tweak and test the memory. If BIOS does not work..how do you think the OS could possibly load?

;)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

according to page 65 of the manual 3 burning leds mean that it hangs on cpu detection

Not quite..CPU detected and DRAM not detected..page 65

The train of thought of most of us, and correctly so, is that the BIOS is the interface and control of just about everything that is attached to the MOBO and the MOBO itself.. BIOS stands for Basic Input Output System. An uncorrupted, working BIOS is needed to tweak and test the memory. If BIOS does not work..how do you think the OS could possibly load?

;)

and if hes in the bios but cant load the os because the memory ant stable hmmm there goes a bad flash. There is no reason to tell someone to upgrade a bios inless there is a know problem and at this point there is not

some times I just don't understand some of you Guys way of thinking. Why in the world would to tell someone new to flash a bios when they ant even stable enough to load the OS

I am not disagreeing with your statement..you are right.. I misread your post..flashing new BIOS would be a bad idea..

We still don't even know if he has all his power connections as it shows in the manual.

Have you followed the build guide to the letter?

Do you have the 5v/12v connector from your PSU connect to the plug just in front of PCIE1 (closest to the CPU)

Try a single stick of DRAM in the slot farthest from the CPU...if you are able to get into the BIOS with the single stick..Load default settings If it makes it past the diagnostics and boots up then you are on your way. (BTW..if you have major DRAM probs then you won't get video)

and im saying if theres three lites showing its not reading the ram the third lite will not go out till the ram has been read and working

OK.. so make a suggestion as to what he should do.. please be part of the solution..:) We know that he has a DRAM problem..

well hes gonna have to get a single good working stick of ram even if its a 256 stick that's know to work and put it in the orange slot the farthest from the CPU. And he already said he was going to try a different video card tomorrow. These board can be a real pain in the butt with cheep generic ram

well hes gonna have to get a single good working stick of ram even if its a 256 stick that's know to work and put it in the orange slot the farthest from the CPU. And he already said he was going to try a different video card tomorrow. These board can be a real pain in the butt with cheep generic ram

Absolutely..generic DRAM is not recommended. at all.I have the same board with premium DRAM..I have never even thought of trying Generic DRAM..

It would be nice if he would post what kind of Generic DRAM he has so we can give him a starting point with it...need to know what chips are on the stick so he can set the DRAM volts...I would just use the use the SPD values and set everything else on auto w/ command rate at 1t. The primary settings for the RAM might even be on the label of the memory stick.

Yeah, I can't even get past POST, never mind setting any voltages and whatnot in BIOS.

As for the generic DRAM, here's the label on it:

Elixir

512MB DDR-400MHz-CL3

PC3200U-30331

The chips themselves say:

Elixir 0642

N2DS51280Bs-5T

633233W1BF TW

AFAIK, the power cables are connected as per the manual's say-so. I've done this before several times, this is the first time I've ever really come across a problem :P The 24-pin, the 4-pin (in the area marked out in the manual) next to that, and the FDD connector above the top PCIe slot.

The stick itself is in the farthest slot from the CPU (anywhere else from it, it drops to two lights with no beeps).

Regardless, before heading out tomorrow, I'll be plopping a stick of my GeIL in there, and see if that works.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone - hope I can get this sorted :P (it's my next door neighbour's son's xmas present >_>)

Off to bed now, but if there's any more info that could help you in diagnosing it, please let me know :)

Cheers