BIOS color scheme questions...

Ok, I'll check my email and burn a cd and test it out when I get home.

I'm running a standard CRT type monitor.

As to why Visiontek doesn't have a bios update out, I don't know. I'm going to go out to the Visiontek site and see if I can talk to the tech rep there, he's been good about answering my questions in the past and maybe he has a BIOS update that they just don't make public.

I'm a little surprised that Saphire does, especially with the low and medium range cards. I've heard rumors that the x1900 series doesn't have this problem but all prior x1k series suffer the same effect. But very few people ever notice it in the real world, we're all working a little outside the box here.

I really appreciate your support, I know this is a minor issue that could easily be solved by just ignoring it. Thanks.

Here is something from ATI on this problem.

Display Corruption in DOS mode

The information in this article applies to the following configuration(s):

* Radeon® X1800 Series

* Radeon® X1600 Series

* Radeon® X1300 Series

Owners of Radeon X1800, X1600 or X1300 Series graphic cards may encounter display corruption on the boot-up screen while in DOS mode. Such symptoms include incorrect color with PC manufacturer's logo, unexpected color bar on system BIOS configuration or texture corruption while in certain DOS applications.

ATI Engineering has been advised of this issue and is investigating. Any updates will be published when they become available.

Also have you tried running a adapter from the DVI port to analog port converter on the monitor? Assuming of course you have a analog CRT input.

Tmod

Now that's funny...

I was just out at the ATI site reading the very same knowledge base article... I had it all ready to paste in this response, but you beat me to it. :)

No I haven't tried the DVI thingme. (ahh I just re-read your post and no my monitor doesn't have a DVI port on it). It's an old CRT with the standard 15pin DIN.

I just left a message at the Visiontek site as well. We'll see if they can shed any light.

BTW-I was unable to find any BIOS updates at the ATI site, as I'm sure you are aware.

Thanks

Now that's funny...

I was just out at the ATI site reading the very same knowledge base article... I had it all ready to paste in this response, but you beat me to it. :)

No I haven't tried the DVI thingme. (ahh I just re-read your post and no my monitor doesn't have a DVI port on it). It's an old CRT with the standard 15pin DIN.

I just left a message at the Visiontek site as well. We'll see if they can shed any light.

BTW-I was unable to find any BIOS updates at the ATI site, as I'm sure you are aware.

Thanks

After reading through a bunch of different articles I don't think anything I am able to do on my side short of make everything a solid color will work, Hell for that matter I don't know if the solid color will render properly.

We can try but there are no guarantee's.

Tmod

Can you get a DVI to Analog adapter and try coming out of the DVI port on the video card to the Analog cable going to the monitor?

I heard that is working for some that have tried it.

Tmod

Ok it seems we have fixed the ATI graphic corruption issue when using my CD.

Thanks to Mirage for bringing this to my attention.

Tmod

Yes it's true, I've verified that the color corruption problem has been fixed! Look for the updated version from Tmod, sometime soon.

Thanks to Tmod for all his work, and for taking the time to fix a small problem that could easily have been ignored.

Keep in mind that this only fixes the problem with color corruption on the BIOS & Tools CD by Tmod. It does not address the underlying problem with DOS color palette corruption inherent on x1300-x1800 series ATI cards. I'm trying to get some answers from various manufacturers on this. I'll post any results I find.

It seems that Sapphire has posted an updated BIOS that solves this problem, but it is specific to Sapphire ATI cards. Use at your own risk.

EDIT - Link here: http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/support/drivers_viewlist.php

Thanks again Tmod!