two odd problems.. weird

Hiya

1) After installing windows over again and downloading SP2 etc.. i find that my computer is acting VERY strange on bootups

One thing it does is that it won't boot up without the boot priority set to CD then HD then removable (and it has to have a windows XP disc in the cd slot!)

If i set it to HDD first it just hangs right after

Backup CMOS.... OK!

Anyone have any clue here? And what could cause the PAINFULLY slow boot up times?

2) this one seems a bit tougher. I had to completely clean and reinstall windows on a HDD due to it being corrupted. The HDD i have is a 40 gig drive that I just use for windows alone (i have a 500 gig drive on it's way). It is a IDE and setup in the Primary Master IDE Slot on the board.

here is my issue.. I use a LSIU160 SCSI controller in the second to last PCI slot for two 15k rpm drives... before my reinstallation of windows I had these guys setup in a raid 0 config that I ran my games off of. While I lost my main drive (the one with windows) the other drives I am pretty sure are ok.. BUT no matter what I do I can't get them to show up under the "my computer tab"

They are recognized by the bios as well as the computer in the begining, however, soon as windows boots up they are as good as gone... the REALLY weird part is that when I go into System Device Manager and look at the "hard drives" tab .. they show up there!?!

I've been posting a lot recently all with various issues... it seems that when a power surge came through and toasted my PSU the problems keep on coming (replaced psu with one in my sig below).

Any suggestions? Just want to get this sucker back up and running like it used to be (stable 1 year!)

thanks again

On the 1st question, have you made sure that the HD boot priority in the BIOS points to the right drive? Are you sure that your drive is configured properly (master/slave/CS?).

On the 2nd, did you make sure that you assigned a drive letter to your scsi raid drive in windows' disk management? It doesn't always do that automatically.

Good call on the HD jumper!!! being the wizkid that I am it was in Master vice "single"

oops

OK as for the second.. this one is a bit more complex I think then just assigning it a raid drive in windows disk management (I think)

First off it shows both disks in the Device Manager section (as in they are both working) but when I go to Disk Management I do the following

1) click on Disk managment

2) There are three drives

a) Disk 0 (dynamic ; foriegn) with a triangle and a ! at the icon

B) Disk 1 (basic) This is my OS disk... shows it healthy etc etc

c) CD-ROM 0 (windows CD in there for right now)

makes sense right? disk a is the one I want right?

well I right click, go to import foreign disks and it pops up a screen that says

[check mark] Foreign disk group (1 of 1 disks)

Now wait.. I thought it should be two disks .. since there are two in raid 0 config right? This further makes me wonder that something is wrong when I press ok and it says

Striped Volume Data Incomplete 70080 MB

and gives me a warning

" Some of the volumes you are importing will loose data because you have not moved all your disks to this system. Are you sure that you want to continue?"

To be on the safe side I click no...

What's going on here.. is windows not reading both? the disks are each 36 gigs big or so so the 70 gig means that maybe they both are being read? the last thing I want to do is import it and loose the drives because they weren't being read right

any ideas?

thanks again for your help!

Ah, I thought that the SCSI was HW raid (on the card), not SW. I've only had HW raids, but...

Are both disks recognized by the controller during boot? (You should be able to get into the controller when it throws-up it's splash screen).

(Same question as the IDE... :)), did you assign different SCSI IDs to each drive?

Ah, I thought that the SCSI was HW raid (on the card), not SW. I've only had HW raids, but...

Are both disks recognized by the controller during boot? (You should be able to get into the controller when it throws-up it's splash screen).

(Same question as the IDE... :)), did you assign different SCSI IDs to each drive?

I believe that the LSIU160 is just a SCSI reader so that you can then stripe it in windows... i do not believe that it has hardware raid.. although I am thinking more and more that the way to go may be that way...

As for reading both in the begining no it does not.. I can't figure out why either.. here is the rub though. When I enter the Suymbios SCSI config utility (the hardware one on the card) during boot up this is what it tells me

Adapter PCI Bus Dev Func Port # IRQ NVM Boot order LSI LOGIC CONTROL

<53c1010-33 1 30 AC00 10 YES 0 Enabled

<53c1010-33 1 31 A800 11 YES 1 Enabled

I have jumpers set on the first SCSI but not on the second (the second without jumpers is at the terminator end). I dont' get it though as I don't believe I ever had it with jumpers.. that could be the issue though.. i'll take a look in the product manual

But from what I can see that through the symbios utility it reads both of them.. do they both have to somehow have the same boot order since they are striped as raid 0? or were striped as raid 0

did some more digging.. could it be the bios? The number #1 thing that all the storage forums say elsewhere is that typically it is the bios

I am using Tmod's from his CD... could that be the issue somehow?

thanks

BIOS could be an issue, so could windows. It couldn't hurt to try one of the factory BIOSes. I have an Expert and the BIOSes are pretty stable. But I've seen posts that some SLI-DR BIOSes are better than others or more suited for certain memory?

You could also try uninstalling and reinstalling the windows driver for your SCSI card.