PS2 Mouse and USB keyboard?

Well, I flashed the BIOS to NF4LDB14 and the PS2 mouse will still not work with a USB keyboard. Hopefully the Lanparty UT nF4 is not so old that they won't update the BIOS again (unless this is a hardware issue). Any way, Airdog, looks like the system you built either needs a PS2 keyboard and mouse or USB keyboard and mouse. I have both keyboards plugged in at the moment to keep things running until I replace the mouse, but if you're assembling a system for someone that obviously isn't an option. At least mice and keyboards are cheap.

I am using a USB Keytronics keyboard and a PS/2 Kensington Expert Mouse trackball. When I tried using the Kensington trackball directly without the PS/2 adapter, I got about a 50% response rate after reboots: half the time the USB mouse was not detected. This led me to use the PS/2 adapter for the trackball, which resolved that particular issue. There are still problems detecting the Keytronics USB keyboard if I reset the BIOS, so really the MOBO/BIOS still likes to see PS/2 devices rather than USB. I also have problems leaving my Dazzle 8-1 USB 2.0 card adapter plugged in. I've just learned to not trust USB devices, it's not only a DFI problem.

Vista, the default setting in the BIOS is for USB keyboard and USB mouse set to disabled, so if you reset the BIOS you need to enable any USB input devices again. I think you're fortunate that the trackball works with a USB keyboard.

If AngryGames or Rgone are following this thread, any chance at all that a future BIOS update will allow use of mixed USB and PS2 keyboards and mice? It seems rather odd that I should have to keep my old PS2 keyboard plugged in to use my PS2 mouse, or that I should have to purchase a new USB mouse to go with the USB keyboard. I would happily give up the CMOS Reloaded feature to gain PS2 + USB functionality.

Thanks for the replies and input Tank252ca.

At least I know it's not just my problem and that others are experiencing the same issue. I've never had this problem before with any other motherboard that I've installed into a system.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was my personal system. I could live with 2 keyboards plugged in but what really sucks is that I built this system for someone else and I don't want them to feel like they are getting a "jerry rigged" PC.

I guess we can only hope that DFI will come up with a Bios fix sometime soon.

still looking for a fix........

~airdog

I have a feeling that a BIOS fix for this won't be too high on the priority list. All I can think of is a USB to PS2 adapter (or visa versa). Not perfect, but you need to get both devices connected to the same kind of port. I've never tested these for compatability, but a quick Google search turned up

http://sewelldirect.com/ps2tousb.asp

Maybe you can find something locally? Circuit City perhaps?