USB Ports deceased!?!?

Wondering if I could get a little help here. Last night I was watching some DivX off my machine via S-Video on my TV. When I came to shut down the PC all the USB devices had hung, the mouse wouldn't respond, the keyboard did nothing etc etc.

So I powered the machine of and thought nothing of it, these things happen from time to time. This morning how ever the problem is looking a little more sinister. I get no responce from USB device to access BIOS screens or DOS environments. I can only log in to windows using PS/2 converters for my Keyboard and mouse....

I tried a nice long BIOS clear and re-jig and made sure USB KB/Storage is enabled in the BIOS. When in a windows environment however, any USB device I try to connect windows reports as malfunctioning and it shows up as unknown device in the USB tree.

This problem is pandemic accross all USB ports. I have tried a range of device that all work when plugged into this laptop.

I'm going to try stripping the system down and rebuilding to make sure their is no other underlying cause. Assuming this doesn't work any other ideas? Has my board just corpsed in its 6th week of opperation? The board is all at stock and has been through most of its life and has never taken high voltages.

Nope the USB devices all appear correct and normal in the device manager. The rig is currently at stock speeds for everything and was stalble as a rock.

USB is also not functioning to enter the BIOS or in Linux environments.

Have you tried to uninstall usb in the device manager. and reboot and let it reload drivers.

I have and it does not fix the problem. I have tried a complete minimal rebuild including reinstalling XP from scratch. No joy.

sounds sort of like SP1 Or 2 Is not working correctly as far as usb support...which NF3 drivers are you useing? 5.10 ? Are you using and services tweaks... Just fishing to try to help

I appreciate the help, you have to realise that this rig has been running fine for weeks and no changes have been made to the operating environment. You also have to grasp that the USB is not working in DOS and Linux enviroments as well, so this is not merely a windows device drivers issue.

Well its got me stumped! I've tried everything, I even took the bare board with 1 stick of ram an old Riva TNT2 card 1 hard drive and a fresh flashed stock BIOS and a new install of XP, still nothing.

Well it's time for DFI to prove itself to me, I have no option but to RMA now. An I have to say my initial experience with the RMA service in Europe is not good. The request went through with everything they asked for and within 15 minutes they send an email back rejecting my request!?!?

I then get another email 20 minutes later from Wendell asking for more information about the other hardware and the problem. One very comprehensive email about my problems and over 3 hours later I have yet to hear back from him...

Well its got me stumped! I've tried everything, I even took the bare board with 1 stick of ram an old Riva TNT2 card 1 hard drive and a fresh flashed stock BIOS and a new install of XP, still nothing.

Okay I was experimenting with OCing my board (same as you have) and my USB ports did the same thing. Whenever I checked my Device manager, it would say "unrecognized item" or something like that (I also got the little pop-up in the system try advising me to disconnect and reconnect the USB item). I did most everything you did (short of the format and window re-install), tried all the usb ports... all dead.

I reflashed the bios with the most current (just to make sure) - nothing.

Reflashed with the original (shipped with) bios - nothing.

At this point I had the wierd problem with my video card again (for some reason this board had a problem with the 3.0 & 2.0 settings - had to manually set them) so I cleared the CMOS. Upon rebooting - USB is working again! I then flashed the BIOS back up to the current level and all seemed fine.

Until the machine started "blue screening" about every 6 hours, so I did the obvious and started with a fresh install. Still does it. I got tired of playing with it so I finally did a RMA back to NewEgg.com.

Thought I'd throw this out there.

Is the chipset fan working? Are you overvolting chipset?

You mention you reinstalled os. Did you install DX9c and afterwards reinstall

nforce 5.10? Then after reboot, check for "?" unknown device?

Did you go into devices->system, any "?" there? Pci bridge ok?

If not any unknown devices, did you unplug the usb device and replug it in?

Did you reload graphic drivers then reinstall nforce 510 again? Then Dx9c.

Reboot, do the same thing again?

Is usb 1 & 2 enabled in bios? Did you disable it, boot to XP, restart, enable it,

reboot to xp, install Dx9c, reboot, reinstalla 510. Always reinstall Dx9c after

installing ANY driver at all !!!

Finally, did you install the correct AUDIO driver if using onboard audio???????

If NOT using onboard audio, did you disable audio in bios?

edit: lastly, did you try a ps2 keyboard, and disable usb keyboard/mouse?

Finally, you should not enable usb mouse in bios, the keyboard might be another

thing that an os needs to login. Those bios settings are for non pnp.