Hidden Network Switch Problem

SpeedCrazy

Here's a thought...

Right click on the network icon in the lower right task bar (on one of the computers connected to the switch) and then click on "Open Network and Sharing"

On the window that opens.... near the top it will show a simple diagram of your connection.....click on the network  icon

In the window that opens....under the "Network Infrastructure" right click on the Icon.....then click on "View device webpage"

255.255.0.0 should let you jump between them.

Why is your network so wonky? :lol:

Ok, no clue. It worked fine till my ISP messed with it.

Here's a thought...

Right click on the network icon in the lower right task bar (on one of the computers connected to the switch) and then click on "Open Network and Sharing"

On the window that opens.... near the top it will show a simple diagram of your connection.....click on the network  icon

In the window that opens....under the "Network Infrastructure" right click on the Icon.....then click on "View device webpage"

That map is interesting, all it shows is the laptop, the gateway and 'the internet'. At the bottom it lists the other computers and says it cannot add them to the map.

Something is majorly screwed.

ok, try this....   unplug the cat5 cable from the gateway to the "switch" and try to log in to it from one of the computers connected to it

Thats what I've been doing all along.....

I'm beginning to doubt whether this is worth the effort.

True, but one would create way to large a broadcast domain lol. I was just feeling like being a smart ass today. Who'd a thunk it? :lol:

So is it worth a shot with 255.255.254.0?

Edited by SpeedCrazy

True, but one would create way to large a broadcast domain lol. I was just feeling like being a smart ass today. Who'd a thunk it? :lol:

If 255.255.0.0 didn't work then 255.255.254.0 is not going to work either. Are you sure this switch is even functioning correctly? If you have just the switch and a computer plugged into it with an IP of 192.168.1.20, mask of 255.255.255.0, gateway of 192.168.1.1 (not really needed in this instance) then you should be able to access the switch at 192.168.1.10 if it is functioning and configured correctly. Quite honestly I would recommend getting a real switch or resetting the existing switch and do it right to begin with.

If 255.255.0.0 didn't work then 255.255.254.0 is not going to work either. Are you sure this switch is even functioning correctly? If you have just the switch and a computer plugged into it with an IP of 192.168.1.20, mask of 255.255.255.0, gateway of 192.168.1.1 (not really needed in this instance) then you should be able to access the switch at 192.168.1.10 if it is functioning and configured correctly. Quite honestly I would recommend getting a real switch or resetting the existing switch and do it right to begin with.

That doesn't work either... so yeah i probably ought to pony up for a real switch. Thanks for the help trying to diagnose it.