Sign in to follow this  
Fungi2003

New system - does my combination of components look ok?

check anandtechs forums for some interesting info on ram speed/timings and performance, ram doenst realy make that much of a difference (200 -> 400 may buy you 3%)

In the US gt prices are around $450 and gtx are aobut $500 so for the moment that difference is too small. It appears that in other countries the difference is much bigger so it may make sense to go with that GT.

get an ocz powerstream 520W, the ideal accompaniment to ultra-d. :D

Co sign, both of the ultra D's I have built have used the 520 powerstream and I am pleased with its performance, and looks. :)

Skip the 520Modstream and the fancy plug in cables and get the 520Powerstream.

Well, my question is going to be, what are you going to use the machine for? If it's going to be for gaming, then you'll likely be disppointed by the performance you'll get from your 4400+ X2. That's simply because the majority of games and practically all other applications are single threaded at the moment. The standard clock speed for the 4400+ X2 is 2.2Ghz. So what'll you'll be getting is the equivalent of a 3500+ which runs at that same speed. However, you'll be paying almost three times the price for the X2 without any conceivable benefits.

Here are the specs for the 3500+.

Compare those with the ones for the 4400+ X2

Now take a look at the specs for the San Diego 4000+ which costs almost half that of your much slower 4400+ X2.

I know you're in AUS, so these prices won't apply to you, but they'll serve to illustrate where you can save yourself a considerable amount of cash and get a faster processor into the bargain. :)

3500+ Venice core

4400+ X2

San Diego 4000+

The time to buy a dual core CPU will be when there are plenty of proggies around that are written for them. ;)

The reason why I am going with an X2 processor is purely because of multitasking: I will be running virtual servers using vmware to replace the 4 odd machines in my lab at home. I am also wanting to play the odd game whilst the virutal machines are still running (which is possible with the X2's).

Edit:

My choice of CPU was this: either go with an Intel with Hyperthreading or an AMD64 X2 - I've used AMD chips for a while now and am very happy with the performance and value for money you get. Consider the power of multithreading of the X2 I think it will meet the needs of my system.

The reason why I am going with an X2 processor is purely because of multitasking: I will be running virtual servers using vmware to replace the 4 odd machines in my lab at home. I am also wanting to play the odd game whilst the virutal machines are still running (which is possible with the X2's).

Edit:

My choice of CPU was this: either go with an Intel with Hyperthreading or an AMD64 X2 - I've used AMD chips for a while now and am very happy with the performance and value for money you get. Consider the power of multithreading of the X2 I think it will meet the needs of my system.

Eh...all operating systems from Win95 upwards are capable of multi-tasking, so I assume you mean multi-threading don't you? In that case, then the X2 CPU will be a good choice.

But if you want to go with the Geforce 7800 GT, then you'll be restricted to Windows Server 2003 x64 edition since that's the only server software nVidia supports on that particular graphics card. You need a server OS to run VMware GSX, but you probably already know that of course. ;)

The only other consideration is your choice of PSU. 480W meets the minimum requirements to run a single core CPU, but may not be sufficient in a server environment. Most of the reviews for X2s around the web use a 550W unit or greater in their test configurations.

Eh...all operating systems from Win95 upwards are capable of multi-tasking, so I assume you mean multi-threading don't you? In that case, then the X2 CPU will be a good choice.

But if you want to go with the Geforce 7800 GT, then you'll be restricted to Windows Server 2003 x64 edition since that's the only server software nVidia supports on that particular graphics card. You need a server OS to run VMware GSX, but you probably already know that of course. ;)

The only other consideration is your choice of PSU. 480W meets the minimum requirements to run a single core CPU, but may not be sufficient in a server environment. Most of the reviews for X2s around the web use a 550W unit or greater in their test configurations.

Good point regarding the X2 and 550W power supply; any particular unit that you would recommend?