Consider the new build...

Hey guys, after about 4-5 weeks of extensive research, and asking thousands of questions on hundreds of forums (exageration, but a lot of questions asked :P ) I think ive finally come up with something that I can actually hope on building and lasting me a bit.

The following are the parts I have come up with-

Case: Antec P180 - after considering an Antec Sonata II, Antec Plusview AMG1000

CPU: AMD 64 3200+ Venice core

Heatsink: Thermalright XP-120 w/ Panaflo Ultra High Speed 1200mm - controlled w/ fan controller

Motherboard: DFI Lanparty UT nF3 Ultra-D S939 - after considering ASUS A8V Deluxe, MSI Neo2 Platinum, and Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939

PSU: OCZ Powerstream 420W - i am aware of its size and intrusion in the Antec P180, but I will change the lower chamber fans in the case, and it will be fine :)

Memory: Mushkin Redline HP3200 or XP3500 or XP4000 - 2 x 512mb - Price difference between these is significant, and I am not sure wich one I will go with, time will tell.

Video Card: eVGA 6600GT AGP 128MB GDDR3

Mouse: Logitech MX518 Game Grade Optical Mouse

Keyboard: BenQ X-800 X-Touch

Fan Controller: Super Flower - Fan Master - same thing as the Asaka

Thats about it.

Its too late to go PCI, unfortunately my not-so-computer-oriented parents, got me a new video card for my bday 2 months ago, and it was AGP.. so Im stuck with an AGP build, wich is bad, it just limits some of the other things like the mobo, and ram, since I want good options to give voltage to my memory etc.

Generally I think its alright. Im thinking of making a diary simaler to Venus, with detail of all my parts being recieved etc. and the build process.

Give your comments and suggestions!

Hello,

Why the high voltage memory?

You will have to keep it cool and it needs 3.3v for 250Mhz 2-2-2-X.

OCZ Platinum REV 2 is TCC5, with 2.8v and 2.5-3-3-7 you can achieve 270Mhz+.

With the Crucial BallistiX PC4000 you can do by default, 250Mhz 2.5-4-4-8

That might work at 2.5-3-3-7@250Mhz and 2.5-2-2-6 @250Mhz with :) think carefully about the memory. (Overclocking or just a gamer?)

Have a look at the FSP Bluestorm 500W (higher is always better).

Dual +12v rails are very good.

Hmm the OCZ ram you mentioned is also a hefty bit more than the Redline HP3200's that im considering...

OCZ EL PLATINUM REV.2 PC3200 1GB 2X512MB DDR CL 2-2-2-5 184PIN DIMM DUAL CHANNEL MEMORY KIT

so this kit can reach 270mhz @ 2-3-3-7?

many, and i mean many people that ive seen using the Redline have pushed it above 260mhz @ 2-2-2... the HP3200 model, and its quite a bit cheaper.. so i dont know :S

And yes, i will be overclocking it :D

Oh, and does the OCZ ram in question like some extra voltage? because if it doesnt require more voltage to reach over 250mhz, then i might consider a different mobo because of all the problems the DFI nf3 ultra-d is causing atm.

opinions?

looks good...I dont have any experience with Mushkin Redline so I would suggest contacting AndyOCZ, RyderOCZ and telling them your budget and what you want to do with it, and getting their opinion on what memory to get.

then I would contact CrucialLabs about Ballistix or Crucial memory

then memoryman about Buffalo Technologies memory.

All of these reps will not try to sell you something that is expensive that you don't need...they will however suggest something in your price range that they know for sure works (and I can verify it since I have most everything they will suggest)

okay, thanks Angry_Games. I will contact them.

Ive been reading lots of reviews, and well, i think i will go with the OCZ EL Plat. rev2, less voltage, higher fsb, tight timings etc.

I have one more question.

How much of a difference would it make if i ran lets say...

200 FSB @ 2-2-2-8 or 270 FSB @ 2.5-3-3-7?

Because thats basically what my decision comes down to, how much performance is lost/gained with the looser timings/higher FSB.

depends....200x15 @ 3Ghz vs 270x11 @ 3ghz is not going to be a lot of difference, because cpu mhz is going to be the key. 270 of course will bench a little higher, but it isn't going to be a huge explosion of increased scores.

however 200x10 (your 3200+'s default speed) @ 2Ghz

vs

270x10 @ 2700Mhz is going to be a VERY large increase in performance (assuming you can get to 270x10 heh, my Venice 3200+ so far will do 275x10 without much effort on TCCD)

Yup, that is what I plan to do..

I want to reach around 2.6-2.7ghz on my 3200 (keeping my fingers crossed for that *lucky* chip)

And so the same question applies... if I ran my ram lets say at 250 (1:1 with CPU @ 250) with tighter timings like 2-3-2-7 or so, and then bumped that up to 270 @ looser timings of 2.5-3-3-7 still 1:1 with the cpu, giving cpu 2.7ghz, how much difference would that make?

I just want to buy some ram, that will give me more hope for a good overclock, and even it if it doesnt want to overclock, can still provide me with awesome performance.

And how much performance gain would I see in general with 2.7ghz 1:1 with the mem @ 270 @ 2.5-3-3-7, over the default 3200+ stock with stock DDR400 memory?

AS for PSU, what if I get a powerstream 520W instead of the 420W? Will that be powerfull enough?

I recommend you to get the High Speed panaflo at least unless your fan controller can go down to 0V.

The high speed = 12V, but 7V = medium and 5V = low speed. You can get 3 different panaflos that way. Now the ultra high speed will be even faster, and so I don't know how low you have to drop it for decent noise.

I recommend you go PCI-e so you can get a DFI LP NF4 Ultra-D. You would rather be able touse your PCIe gfx card in the future if you upgrade again than to be stuck at a dead end with AGP.

I still prefer the P160 over the P180 due to price and all that. I think the 180 is not as worth it. I'd rather get a stronger PSU and a cheaper case.

Like ive said before, it simply costs too much :( to replace my 6600GT which was given as a present.

Anything under a 6800GT is not worthy now for the latest games. And 6800GT PCI-E is way expensive, something my budget cannot stretch too :(

AS for PSU, what if I get a powerstream 520W instead of the 420W? Will that be powerfull enough?

Powerstream will be an excellent choice and will not leave you disappointed (unless you have unrealistic expectations...I love all of my OCZ psu's)

forget about timings...you got to just forget about memory timings

cpu Mhz is what you are after

2500Mhz is not as good as 2700Mhz.

period.

on NF2's it makes a difference, as does Command Per Clock, as does running a divider...since the Athlon64 has an integrated memory controller, timings, dividers, and CPC don't really mean much other than helping you achieve a greater cpu overclock without sacrificing much at all in total performance.

Thanks for the info Angry! :D

Anyone have any suggestions what I should do with my 6600GT AGP?

Id feel alot more comfortable buying the nf4 ultra-d, as it seems to be stable and working alot better then the nf3 brother :)