NF4 5.1 sound broken? finally got a fix here!

I'm sorry to duplicate any information in this thread, but I think this is important enough to bump and clarify, because I've seen a lot of unfinished threads on this issue with all sorts of bad solutions and half baked ideas that led nowhere.

IF you have an LP UT NF4 Ultra-D (I don't know about the SLI, possibly, I'd guess the sound systems are identical) , AND

IF you have more than 2 speakers, AND

IF you cannot get NVMixer to recognize more than 2 speakers, or play anything on the rear speakers, AND

IF you are OK using 6ch Direct Output connectors instead of Coax S/PDIF

THEN:

1. Create a system restore point, bios backup, full hard disk backup, and hardcopy printouts of every file on your system (ok I'm just being careful on this step I admit, hehe)

2. Make sure your sound jumper is set to 2-3.

3. Download this: ftp://61.56.86.122/pc/ac97/alc650/wdm_a374.exe (this is the Realtek AC'97 driver for XP/2000. Start here if you're nervous: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...8&Software=True

4. Install it. No preparation or uninstalling of the NVidia stuff is required - I was running NVMixer while installing this, no biggie. I recall no difficult choices during setup.

5. You'll notice the NVidia driver disappear and a Realtek one will appear in its place via Device Manager. NVMixer will also vanish forever, and you'll get a blue RealTek icon in the tray, complete with the usual configuration and speaker setup that actually works, EAX environment toys, realtime connector sensing info, and 3d sound demos.

So, the only downside is that S/PDIF coax out mode didn't work whatsoever - no audio. This might be resolvable (maybe the jumper? whatever) but nonetheless, if you can handle Direct 6ch Output, this solution works. The RealTek control panel seems to imply it can send analog & digital over the S/PDIF, so it might work just like S/PDIF if you can manage to make it work. Again, maybe its the jumper or maybe my system just needed a poweroff, I don't know, but I stuck with the 6ch Direct and it works fine.

It seems like 6ch Direct isn't quite as good for PowerDVD and other S/PDIF supporting applications, where you'd prefer the superior quality and simplicity of the Coax S/PDIF, but this sound card kind of sucks anyway so it shouldn't matter. If you just want 3D sound for games to work and you're OK with DVDs as long as the rear speakers are working as expected (Dolby), then this is the way to go.

I'll add here, this is indeed the cheapskate route - if you have a Logitech Z-5500 or other expensive sound system that supports optical inputs, you're probably better off with an Audigy of some sort. BUT if you're like me you wanted to see how well this onboard stuff works... :)

Hello,

Yes for the RealTek driver you must have the jumper on pins 1-2 for SPDIF output.

:)

Awesome, thanks for that, I'll try it tonight.

Should I remove the Karajan module if I enable this jumper?

I'm sorry to duplicate any information in this thread, but I think this is important enough to bump and clarify, because I've seen a lot of unfinished threads on this issue with all sorts of bad solutions and half baked ideas that led nowhere.

IF you have an LP UT NF4 Ultra-D (I don't know about the SLI, possibly, I'd guess the sound systems are identical) , AND

IF you have more than 2 speakers, AND

IF you cannot get NVMixer to recognize more than 2 speakers, or play anything on the rear speakers, AND

IF you are OK using 6ch Direct Output connectors instead of Coax S/PDIF

THEN:

1. Create a system restore point, bios backup, full hard disk backup, and hardcopy printouts of every file on your system (ok I'm just being careful on this step I admit, hehe)

2. Make sure your sound jumper is set to 2-3.

3. Download this: ftp://61.56.86.122/pc/ac97/alc650/wdm_a374.exe (this is the Realtek AC'97 driver for XP/2000. Start here if you're nervous: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...8&Software=True

4. Install it. No preparation or uninstalling of the NVidia stuff is required - I was running NVMixer while installing this, no biggie. I recall no difficult choices during setup.

5. You'll notice the NVidia driver disappear and a Realtek one will appear in its place via Device Manager. NVMixer will also vanish forever, and you'll get a blue RealTek icon in the tray, complete with the usual configuration and speaker setup that actually works, EAX environment toys, realtime connector sensing info, and 3d sound demos.

So, the only downside is that S/PDIF coax out mode didn't work whatsoever - no audio. This might be resolvable (maybe the jumper? whatever) but nonetheless, if you can handle Direct 6ch Output, this solution works. The RealTek control panel seems to imply it can send analog & digital over the S/PDIF, so it might work just like S/PDIF if you can manage to make it work. Again, maybe its the jumper or maybe my system just needed a poweroff, I don't know, but I stuck with the 6ch Direct and it works fine.

It seems like 6ch Direct isn't quite as good for PowerDVD and other S/PDIF supporting applications, where you'd prefer the superior quality and simplicity of the Coax S/PDIF, but this sound card kind of sucks anyway so it shouldn't matter. If you just want 3D sound for games to work and you're OK with DVDs as long as the rear speakers are working as expected (Dolby), then this is the way to go.

I'll add here, this is indeed the cheapskate route - if you have a Logitech Z-5500 or other expensive sound system that supports optical inputs, you're probably better off with an Audigy of some sort. BUT if you're like me you wanted to see how well this onboard stuff works... :)

Yeah umm Hi :-) I was wondering where this "2. Make sure your sound jumper is set to 2-3." Jumper would be located on the MB so I can switch it. I don't seem to see it and I'm having a great deal of trouble getting sound out of my front 2 speakers on my klipsch ultra promedia 5.1 system

Yeah umm Hi :-) I was wondering where this "2. Make sure your sound jumper is set to 2-3." Jumper would be located on the MB so I can switch it. I don't seem to see it and I'm having a great deal of trouble getting sound out of my front 2 speakers on my klipsch ultra promedia 5.1 system

The jumper is JP52, on Page 18 of the manual (at least the Ultra-D manual.)

It's a vertical jumper with 3 pins, it's RIGHT next to the S/PDIF connectors on the board.

Also, I tried the jumpers on both settings, and it made no difference. You'll probably be stuck with the Direct outputs, no S/PDIF.

The jumper is JP52, on Page 18 of the manual (at least the Ultra-D manual.)

It's a vertical jumper with 3 pins, it's RIGHT next to the S/PDIF connectors on the board.

Also, I tried the jumpers on both settings, and it made no difference. You'll probably be stuck with the Direct outputs, no S/PDIF.

Doesn't seem to be working. And I'm really stuck on this :-(