Sign in to follow this  
xelz

NF4 Not recognizing SATA drive in BIOS?

Thanks for your reponse.

I hope DFI would make a work around for this issue. It's pretty darn frustrating L:(

Got new trouble ;( I finally got the firmware update on bootdisk, but it won't even detect my hard drive in the firmware utility. So it wont let me update!!

I'm having this same problem...however, i'm using the Hitachi 80 drives that a lot of you seem to have. I purchased two at the same time with the intention of running RAID0, however, 98% of the time only one of the drives is detected. I've also tried using different sata inputs and all of the different SATA cables that came with the board. Every once in a while, it will be recognized in the bios, but shortly after, it's gone again. Frustrating to say the least.

I'm having this same problem...however, i'm using the Hitachi 80 drives that a lot of you seem to have. I purchased two at the same time with the intention of running RAID0, however, 98% of the time only one of the drives is detected. I've also tried using different sata inputs and all of the different SATA cables that came with the board. Every once in a while, it will be recognized in the bios, but shortly after, it's gone again. Frustrating to say the least.

I've never heard of the Hitachi drives doing this, perhaps 1 of the 2 drives is defective, is it always the same drive disappearing?

Got new trouble ;( I finally got the firmware update on bootdisk, but it won't even detect my hard drive in the firmware utility. So it wont let me update!!

O yah, I forgot to mention the "best" part about the firmware updates, they won't work on any nForce chipset, nor will they work on most controllers that are capable of RAID. When I did the firmware update, I used someone else's computer that had a VIA 8237 southbridge, the firmware updates worked, even though that chip is supposedly not compatible with the firmware updates. I'd suggest trying to find someone who has a different SATA controller chip and try to run the update there.

Thanks for your advice!

I will look into it. I'm thinking of getting a SATA IDE adapter so I can plug it into the IDE slot. Do you think that might work?

I have a similar problem with my Hitachi T7k250. Detection on the NV SATA ports 1-4 became increasingly infrequent until eventual nothing I would do got it detected by the BIOS. My first thought was that it was the HD, but I noticed that the drive wasn't spinning up on power up. This on a fully stable system, with variable HD startup delays set in Bios. Confusingly it got "gradually" worse, until no detection at all. Port 1 was first to go then port 3 worked for a while, then that stopped too.

Tried swapping cables etc no change. However, when I put the HD onto the Si3114 ports it immediately span up on power up, and was detected by the Si3114 BIOS (though wouldn't boot to WinXP). The DFI engineer suggested on this basis that the MOBO was faulty and so its been RMA'd.

Not saying its completely clear cut since it could be to do with BIOS settings (though the 23 passes of memtest and lack of HD power up when on ports 1-4 made me suspicious).

Guest Paradox

I too have had major problems with my maxtor drives being detected at startup, at first I simply could not bootup with my maxline III and diamondmax 10 together. I could boot solo from either one of them but when attaching them both at startup was asking for bios hangups at detection. Now these problems are gone, I don't know exactly why but I think it has to do with the bios settings. I am running an LDT of 3x now and am not using any HD delay, I also enabled the S.M.A.R.T option in bios on both drives and now I can bootup from both drives without any problem. So try doing this and see if that works, ooh one other thing, I run my windows disk off of SATA 1 and my second disk off of SATA 3. Read about my Twilight Zone post to know that this . for me just gets weirder and weirder.

I'm thinking of getting a SATA IDE adapter so I can plug it into the IDE slot. Do you think that might work?

Those adapters are for going from PATA to SATA, not converting SATA drives to PATA.

Im having a disappearing plextor drive (the one in my sig) while its detecting drives it's not there. not even in the bios. what I do next is shut the computer off and sometimes after the third attemp is when it re-appears. I tried different cables. I even used the one that is hooked up to my HD. and I also put it on that sata port. no go. What could it be??

Xelz did you use a SATA controller without and RAID on it? I used my Si3114 to flash my drive. Still its f**k. Can't imagine my movies, mp3 & important stuff are in there, if it ever crashes i'll never buy Maxtor again. Shouldn't have been so greedy with the 16MB Cache. After the flash there are still problem inside windows where from time to time i get controller error in the event viewer. I'm using back the windows orignal IDE driver for PATA and 5.10xxx534 driver for the SATA

I too have had major problems with my maxtor drives being detected at startup, at first I simply could not bootup with my maxline III and diamondmax 10 together. I could boot solo from either one of them but when attaching them both at startup was asking for bios hangups at detection. Now these problems are gone, I don't know exactly why but I think it has to do with the bios settings. I am running an LDT of 3x now and am not using any HD delay, I also enabled the S.M.A.R.T option in bios on both drives and now I can bootup from both drives without any problem. So try doing this and see if that works, ooh one other thing, I run my windows disk off of SATA 1 and my second disk off of SATA 3. Read about my Twilight Zone post to know that this . for me just gets weirder and weirder.

I notice that issue as well where DiamondMax10 can't load up with Maxline 3 together. Have you tried upgrading firmware? I will look into the solution you posted. Thanks! Hopefully DFI or maxtor engineer would fix this. You don't ever want to deal with the Maxtor support. They are troublesome, can waste valuable time. Wasted over 1 month of my time on this matter. They were supposed to send me some IDE controller card to upgrade firmware, but the card hasn't arrived yet and it's been 2 weeks. Very unreliable, especially if your life depends on it.