Sign in to follow this  
seanmcgpa

NF4 SLI-DR> XP Install for X2 4800 - Must I install the AMD driver

When I built my new rig, XP Pro intalled it's drivers for my 4800 X2.

Now I'm reading about the AMD Processor drivers for the X2 4800 - should I be installing this? Will this improve stability issues at all?

THanks for any insights...

Sean

you will need that driver if you want to use coolNquiet, however installing I guess is always better then win XP driver, I did on mine.

Hmm would it hurt to have it AG? should I uninstall it? I initially installed it to get cool & quiet going, but if it decreases performance I will remove it.

if you do not use C&Q, there is no reason to install a driver for the cpu. Cpu's do not need drivers for normal functions, only special functions like C&Q.

You don't need the driver. But I do recommend that all X2 owners place the following in their BOOT.INI

/usepmtimer

For some reason, some apps performance much better with X2 cores with this line.

You don't need the driver. But I do recommend that all X2 owners place the following in their BOOT.INI

/usepmtimer

For some reason, some apps performance much better with X2 cores with this line.

How do I do this?????

I noticed this as well, installing the AMD driver will achive the same thing. Before installing the driver a program I wrote would bug out because the QueryPerformanceTimer would not return the same time if the program was schedueled on the "wrong" core and my program would think that time went backwards.

This could of course have serious implications for things like sound drivers and games that make use of this method of timing.

I think DFI should recommend installing the driver for X2 cpus.

I agree. For me when I would run PCmark05 I would get a score of 0 on all mt HDD test which would make me score about 2500 points. I then installed the driver and now get 6300 points :nod: . I can't say everyone will get the same results but it did help with my performance.

Just don't enable the CNQ features in the bios and you will be fine with full performance ;)

Guest Byron

what line do we put the /usepmtimer in? in the boot.ini file .. can you do a cut and paste of your boot.ini file terror?

Guest burningrave101
if you do not use C&Q, there is no reason to install a driver for the cpu. Cpu's do not need drivers for normal functions, only special functions like C&Q.

I would suggest everyone that has an X2 install the AMD driver or at least do what terror_adagio suggested with the boot.ini file. There have been issues reported with X2's in certain applications like PCMark05 and also issues in different games like EQ2 and GTA:SA and i would be willing to bet the AMD driver fixes most of those issues people have.