Replacing stock fan cooler for NB chipset

oddyager

I was reporting chipset temps of 47-49 when I first got the DFI board. After lowering the upperthreshold on the bios and putting some AS5, I have temps of 41 and 44 on load. I highly recommend the AS5

Guest bobyjo

xguy ::I don't know where you got the idea about using the stock hs and the Iceburg fan. That would be an impossibility, the fan sits down inside the hs. The hs is round and has a hole in the top of the metal formed to be a hs. The fan screws down into this hs with 3 small screws. It would be impossible to attach the iceburg fan to the OE hs.

I am using Shin-Etsu and the temps are 33 low and 39 full load. Best stuff that can be had. BAR NONE.

xguy ::I don't know where you got the idea about using the stock hs and the Iceburg fan. That would be an impossibility, the fan sits down inside the hs. The hs is round and has a hole in the top of the metal formed to be a hs. The fan screws down into this hs with 3 small screws. It would be impossible to attach the iceburg fan to the OE hs.

I am using Shin-Etsu and the temps are 33 low and 39 full load. Best stuff that can be had. BAR NONE.

Hmm, if you have read my post carefully you would have known that I was referring to his mod posted in his SIG, well I'll be more clear :

go here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...&highlight=fast

Now browse down to post #17

Quote:"Yes I mounted the IB4 fan to the 'stock' heatsink,,,,,then mount the stock heatsink and IB4 fan to your board...

you got it....I have faith in you....lol"

Yes I'm confused too cause over at this thread he states other wise, well I think he is confused as well :nod:

Hmm I think I figured out the confusion, looks like pro707 has read the post (posted in his sig) and did the opposite mod because of this photo posted there:

attachment.php?attachmentid=509

And I don't think he realizes that so he' referring to the mod here, however that wasn't the idea of the original modder, as he clearly stated that he used the the IBF4 fan on the stock heat sink.

Well I dunno I'm really confused now :confused:

Hmm, if you have read my post carefully you would have known that I was referring to his mod posted in his SIG, well I'll be more clear :

go here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...&highlight=fast

Now browse down to post #17

Quote:"Yes I mounted the IB4 fan to the 'stock' heatsink,,,,,then mount the stock heatsink and IB4 fan to your board...

you got it....I have faith in you....lol"

Yes I'm confused too cause over at this thread he states other wise, well I think he is confused as well :nod:

I'm not confused. I followed the mod just like the original modder. You take the IB4 fan and put it in the DFI heatsink. It's not that hard. took me about 10 minutes to do it. I attatched the IB4 fan with the thermal tape that comes with the ramsinks. The IB4 fan tops out at around 4600-4700 under load with 5C lower temps.

well Global Win socket 370 copper is cheap....very cheap...and fits well..just break off ½ the finns on the side under the GFX drill 2 holes for the chipset bolts (use the originals) watch out 2 places in the opposit side...2 mobo componens sticks op...cut the copper away where they stick up. carefully remove the shim from original cooler and place it on the chipset and place the new passive cooler on to your board........pics and so on in the DFI modification thread...i dont think you can do this cheaper....