Sign in to follow this  
oddyager

Replacing stock fan cooler for NB chipset

I just saw this on Jab-Tech. Apparently its small enough as to not get in the way for VGA cards yet can pack better cooling. Has anyone tried replacing the stock fan cooler for their DFI board and received postive results? My temps are hovering about 47-48C at room temp so I'm considering pushing for even better cooling. At the advertised price, it doesn't seem that bad.

http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.p...91&cat=0&page=1

http://members.optusnet.com.au/arcticfox/DFI/ is what i have done to my board. that chipset fan you showed is good but try to get it below 9mm if possible. i might go look for those thermaltake copper geforce4 reference cooler. though its 10mm in height u can remove the top plastic and cut the HSF away and it should be roughly 9mm in height. mine is working good current but i better prepare just incase the fan dies. it is a 9800pro HSF that is roughly 2 years old

Try the mod in my sig. Just use the thermal tape that comes with the Iceberq4 ramsinks to attach the fan. It has lowered my temp 5C but I did to squash the noise.

Guest bobyjo

When I received my nF3 Ultra D it was DOA out of the box.

After a complete testing proceedure I found the fan on the chipset cooler had a short in it.

I replaced it with a zalman fan off a zalman chipset cooler. I ran the board for a few days just to be sure everything was good. I do not believe that DFI would void my warranty on this product due to the fact the fan had a short in it.

I removed the stock hs compltetly and replaced it with a Iceburg round copper hs/fan combo. The fan mounts inside the circular hs, the hs has slots for the air to exhaust.

I applied some Shin-Etsu G751 to the chip and hs. To my surprise the tim showed that contact with the nb chip was only about 30%. This problem may be a major fault in why some boards do not OC well. If the NB chip gets too warm, the board does not OC as well as another board that the HB chip is cooler.

I made sure that the hs/fan I selected was seated well, I also applied the Shin-Etsu G751 to the cpu/hs.

I did not have suficient G751 to apply to the cpu & hs, so I used the zalman white stuff. My temps are about 3c lower now using the Shin-Etsu stuff.

Try the mod in my sig. Just use the thermal tape that comes with the Iceberq4 ramsinks to attach the fan. It has lowered my temp 5C but I did to squash the noise.

Yup yup. Iceberq4!!! Just got one. Hmm.. well the mod in your sig is an Iceberq4 Pro. I didn't get the Pro vers cuz it's too large and I know it has issues.

I will have to see how the Iceberq4 fits.

THe Vantec copper chipset fan (CCB-A1C) fits well enough and should have no problems with clearance of your vid card. lower my buddys temps by 5C

Guest bobyjo

The IceBurg I used was one I had in stock. Have had them for about a year or so.

I am not sure it is the same as the one you are using.

The hs/fan was low enough to not hit the video card, so it was a super replacement hs/fan.

Yup yup. Iceberq4!!! Just got one. Hmm.. well the mod in your sig is an Iceberq4 Pro. I didn't get the Pro vers cuz it's too large and I know it has issues.

I will have to see how the Iceberq4 fits.

No issues for me. Fits perfectly. Have more clearance than I did with the stock cooler and ring.

THe Vantec copper chipset fan (CCB-A1C) fits well enough and should have no problems with clearance of your vid card. lower my buddys temps by 5C

The A1A & the A1C both fit and are the same cooler except the A1C is all cooper.

http://www.svcompucycle.com/vansolcopvga.html

http://www.svcompucycle.com/vanvgaandchi.html

The iceberg i belive needs a little modding.

Guest bobyjo

The copper one looks exactly like the one I used. The one I have looks a little different, but it is older than the one in the picture.

No issues for me. Fits perfectly. Have more clearance than I did with the stock cooler and ring.

I am a little confuse here, you say in this thread the the iceberq fits fine under you vga card yet , in you ather thread you say that you didn't not use the iceberq , you used the stock heatsink with the iceberq fan. am I reading either post incorrectly?

I'm lost lead me please