Chipset getting ridiculously hot

My video card is so big that it blocks the chipset fan from proper cooling. I've had it at 60c when idle.

Is there anything I can do to keep it cooled down? At the moment I have a floor fan blowing into the case. It's at 45c right now but it sounds like an airport in my room.

with my dual 7800s, I can sympathise, although my temps havent got that bad yet (normally arround 50-55C) ? ive got some pretty good case fans though (ones that came with this LianLi PC65). Then again my CPU isnt stable at stock right now, so I will be quiet :P

from sounds of things these nF4s just run hot anyway though!? long as its stable & not getting too high (>55C) I wouldnt worry _too_ much.

Those temps are about the same as I was getting. Don't forget you can alter the temp where the chipset fan goes onto full speed in the bios, although 7500 rpm is noisy. I found the chipset fan was constantly changing speed and so only let it go flat out at 60 C.

have you replaced the thermal pad under the DFI sink ?

put some AS5 under it...

and get ridd of the bling bling that is mounted on top of the sink....

I've done this and my temp is 40c right now, got the config in bios to shut down @ 25c and full speed @ 58c...

try this before buying a new sink...

easy mod to do

http://members.optusnet.com.au/arcticfox/DFI/ keeps the chipset at 27idle with max load of 33. its low enough to support my X800XL with arctic silencer. i'll be getting a thermaltake geforce4 reference cooler soon to mod it if you seen those old square geforce4 stock coolers before this is the same but made from copper. the good thing is that the fan inside is smaller but enough to push air around. ucan remove the plastic cover to lower its intial height from 10mm to roughly 9mm. alittle cutting of the copper HSF and done, a perfectly good chipset fan.. i'll keep you boys posted on it when im done.

You can try the mod listed in my sig. Lowered my chipset temp 5C and very silent. I just used the thermal tape that came with the Iceberq 4 ramsinks instead of drilling new holes. It has worked like a charm for me.

My video card is so big that it blocks the chipset fan from proper cooling. I've had it at 60c when idle.

Is there anything I can do to keep it cooled down? At the moment I have a floor fan blowing into the case. It's at 45c right now but it sounds like an airport in my room.

Yes, it does get really hot, but it's nothing to be particularly concerned about. The main difference between the nForce4 chipset and those from VIA, SiS and other chipset manufacturers is the absence of a Southbridge. nVidia was able to dispense with the southbridge with the introduction of the AMD 64 processor which places the memory multiplier on the processor itself rather than on the motherboard. Prior to that the Northbridge handled video, PCI and CPU instructions while the Southbridge handled everything else i.e. USB, sound, IDE etc. But because everything now runs via a single chip, it does get a lot hotter. However, that's adequately catered for in the design parameters.

So unless your system is locking up on you (which could be due to other factors), I wouldn't be unduly worried by temperature readings on the n4 chip.

• 4 months later...

I have a DFI LAnparty UT SLI-D Ultra with an FX-57 and two 7800GT's and it crashes about 1/2 hour - 45 minutes into a game of Call of Duty2. It runs great and posts great 3dmarks other than this problem. I have all the other parts watercooled and they run at about 35-38 under load but the Northbridge gets upwards of 57-58 and since it craps out only if I am playing a game for a while I think it is the the northbridge getting overheated. I ordered a Koolance waterblock for the northbridge. Any suggestions or similar experiences would be great to hear. Thanks!