Would you be interested in memory heatsinks?

31 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, I'd buy the heatpipe design!
    • Yes, I'd buy the mini IC heatsinks!
    • No, I wouldn't buy either. Please post your reasoning.

I would buy the heatpipe version and cut it up so I can water cool my ram with only the trouble of mounting the heatpipes, instead of having to buy 4 of those awflow things and killing the flow with too much resistance.

Is the heatpipe design anything like this:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=3885325#post3885325

CJ

Not really. The heatpipe doesn't even really benifit in that design. My design will be all copper with aluminum fins (for weight/cost) and will be much differnt. It too will use a non-conductive thermal paste (Artic Ceramique sp?)

I'm working on a second 3d model with my second design ideas. I have a mounting system in mind that will be very uniform and effective. You will be able to remove the sinks if you want.

Thanks

one of the best things we can do is use a cooler like XP-90/XP-120 because the overhang is more than enough to provide proper ambient airflow to the memory.

So Angry,

what you're saying is that if one has that heatsink, you don't need an extra fan for the memory??

i voted yes but it all depends on how the final version looks and performs i always read a few reviews from diff website on every product i buy so at the mo it's sounding good but depending on end product only time will tell.

How important is it that you run the dimms next to each other? For me, I only use 2 adjacent slots on the DFI nf4 so I have a bit more room between the dimms. Problem is, if I used all four, I would have only 5cm from IC surface to IC surface. That is probly going to be near impossible to make a heatsink and heat pipe less then 2.4cm or thinner that is actually effective :(

Thoughts?

Yes,

I have two OCZ gold 466's that I can OC to about 510, although after some time running flat out they show the odd error or two, AND THEY ARE HOT. So I made a saddle that bridges the two RAM sticks and mounted a 40mm fan in it. Now I can OC these sticks to 520, and they will run flat out for days without a glich and are cool.

I think that says it all, when you take it two the limit you need to keep it cool.

Brgdx IMK

Here is a pre-production design. Nothing is final yet.

this would cover four ICs, so you would need four of these heatsinks per stick of ram.

I see a couple of things that you should be sure to at least consider and probably address:

1) With that design, you will basically have it such that it would be damn near impossible to get proper air flowing between the fins. With a fan blowing down it's basically blowing down at the flat side of a fin. You should put another 90-degree angle on the heatpipe so the fins rotate 90 degrees and then air blowing down at the motherboard from a fan would be going in between the fins for better cooling.

2) Don't heatpipe designs require gravity to work for them? By that, don't they require that they be positioned in such a way that the heat rises up to the fins? (I could be wrong here but I recall people having problems with HSFs that have heatpipes in them if they mount them upside-down in one of those cases that has the motherboard flipped 180 degrees.) If that's the case, you will have to design these such that it takes this into account. I don't know what all of the issues are here but be sure you do. :)

But no, I wouldn't use them. Too much clutter and not enough room under my XP-90.