Wire sleeving Sata power cables?

ehh.. u know how some powersupplys now come with sata power connectors.

well i know how to sleeve a 4 pin ect ect... but how will i sleeve my sata cables?

as far as i know theirs no safe way to remove them and to add the wire sleeving.

im sure others have done this, just i am so lost on how to do it.

Tom

By the way, im going to be sleeving my PSU using the VANTEC Cable Sleeving Kit (BLUE)

By the way, im going to be sleeving my PSU using the VANTEC Cable Sleeving Kit (BLUE)

:D I know at least THunDA and I are smiling. Get ready for some work. :nod:

I thin k you mean the SATA power plugs. hehehe, I passed on them on one rig and just used the standard Molex power p[lug as it was easier. I Used a 4pin Molex to 6 pin SATA power adaptor on the other one so it was easy (relatively speaking) to remove the Molex end.

You will pay someone to do it next time :)

I've just been sleeving up all the cables on my Enermax 600w PSU and done the SATA connectors too (will post somes pics when i get home tomorrow morning), but the SATA power conectors were ok.

I just taped the cables together while still in the connector (so they don't get mixed up), then popped the top of the power connector and then slid the wires out of the cut grips.

Once the sleve was on and heat wrapped just before the cuts in the wire, i slid it back into the cut grips and popped the top backon. Have not got and drive yet to test, but should be ok.

On a side note test the PSU first, i did'nt and it turns out one of the fans is making a loud clicking noise in the PSU, i'd rather replace the fan myself than get the PSU rma'd only to have to cable it again :rolleyes:

Hope that helps a little

Andy

:D I know at least THunDA and I are smiling. Get ready for some work. :nod:

I thin k you mean the SATA power plugs. hehehe, I passed on them on one rig and just used the standard Molex power p[lug as it was easier. I Used a 4pin Molex to 6 pin SATA power adaptor on the other one so it was easy (relatively speaking) to remove the Molex end.

You will pay someone to do it next time :)

...its hard because i cant remove them, i dont think at all.

my psu right now looks similar to this: http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews/silenxpsu/large/sata.jpg

as you see the end sata connector is basically not removable.

i need to sleeve my wires, but how can i sleeve the ones with the sata connectors if i cant remove them?!? :confused:

Trust me those SATA connectors come off but you'll probably break them doing the mod. Doubt if it's worth it.

A much easier solution is to use some plastic wire loom to cover the wires. It's available at many automitive supply stores, usually in blue, yellow, and chrome - I use the chrome quite a bit. Also have versions available here:

http://www.xoxide.com/wireloom.html

Can look real nice when finished. :)

http://www.xoxide.com/wireloom.html

My Appoligies, i did'nt releise that SATA connectors varied from PSU to PSU, i would think its possible to get a SATA power connector from somewhere, there very easy to fit to the cable, so you could cut that one off.

I know that does'nt sound like an ideal option, but i've had to replace a few connectors on my UV lamp setup on my current build, by cutting them off to remove the on/off switch wiring, etc.

I also popped open my PSU and found a wire on the inside hitting the fan, so now no clicking and its all cabled up. I've finshed snapping some pics and the build so far is going online tonight.

Andy

...its hard because i cant remove them, i dont think at all.

my psu right now looks similar to this: http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews/silenxpsu/large/sata.jpg

as you see the end sata connector is basically not removable.

i need to sleeve my wires, but how can i sleeve the ones with the sata connectors if i cant remove them?!? :confused:

The one at the end you need to cut wires (MAKE SURE to make them so you know which go where. I know that Orange one to end with open down in connector-> Black->Red->Black->Yellow) and use one of the slice in SATA connector, pop in the cap.

The one in the middle of wire, you can pop up the cap & slice them out then slice them in to a new SATA connector, pop the cap on.

If you need pics, let me know the email, then I send you some.

Regards

thanks for those awesomly quick replys...

once soundx pointed out wire loom, i realized my dad got me some in black, so what i plan to do is get a black wire sleeving kit, and make all the wires sleeved black, and put the black wire loom around the sata cables.

im lost in color right now, but im considering getting transparent silver IDE and floppy cables to go with my black wire sleeving.

in addition to that ill go "Color blind" and get the VANTEC EZ-Grip Molex Connector Kit Model MCK-10UV-BL - Retail.

that way ill have something like:

completely black sleeved wires with blue 4pin molex and black sata molex, with my transparent silver IDE & floppy cables.

sound good... good lookin? :D

thanks for speaking soundx about the wire loom or else it would have just collected dust, because its spankin new... and the cool thing is cuz my dad owns a company, he got like 25 feet of 3 sizes of wire loom. =D

Tom