Building A New Computer Soon

AxcesDenyed

I just wanted to know what you guys thought of these parts and the prices. I know there are better prices out there than what I have found so far. I need to keep it under $1000. So if you guys know of any places that have these parts for a better price, please let me know.

Case w/PSU: Aluminum-Silver Raidmax Scorpio ATX PC Case for $108.88

or

Aluminum-Silver Xsonic ATX PC Casefor $64.98(yeah, i know its currently out of stock, but i can wait)

I like the first one better, but should I go with the second one to save money?

I might go with a completely different case if I find something better.

Mobo: unsure what to get

CPU: I want an AMD AthlonXP 2600+ or something close, dont have a price for this yet

Cooling: I want water cooling cause I want something that is quiet, not sure what to get.

HDD: WD 80Gig 7200RPM 8mb cache for $94

Memory: Kingston 512mb PC2700 for $75

DVD drive: Samsung 16x for $45

DVD+RW drive: Memorex Internal DVD+RW/CD-RW Drive for $199.99

Floppy drive: Mitsumi Black for $15

Vid card: ATI All-in-Wonder 9000 Pro 64mb DDR for $169

Sound card: not sure which to get

These items are not necessarily what im gonna get, just priceshopping.

This is the first time im building a computer, so any positive criticism is appreciated. :D

few things I'd look into changing on there. WD drives are only ata100, maxtor are ata133. from experience they're usually a little quieter, last longer (this is a recent thing too) since thier actually not made by maxtor anymore. and tend to be cheaper.

water cooling is also risky if you're a person who takes thier system to lan parties and travels. I have 2 friends who recently LOST thier rigs to water cooling and a lan party. I'm sure this will be argued by some, and agreed with by others, but it's a risk that I personlly won't take.

the third one is the video card. I'd go with the 8500dv version of the AIW. it's a little faster in benchmarks, and it can be had for as low as $129 now. also has firewire too, saving you from a seperate card. they both have ati's very nice remote, a big plus considering I just paid $50 for second one for my system.

memorex dvd+rw models that are $200 are rebadged dvd100i's (learned this when working at compusa). These are the original dvd+rw drives from hp. they had MAJOR problems with them, hence the fast move to the dvd200i. I own a dvd100i and would not wish it upon anyone. they're slow, picky about media, and most dvd players have a real hard time reading the disks that they burn. I'd recomend a sony or tdk multifuncion 4x dvd+-r/rw drive. for close the same price with rebates from many retail stores you get MUCH more. also the software that comes in the box with the memorex doesn't even work with the drive until you go online and download the updates (idiots). this is a non issue with the tdk and sony drives. thier software is great, and both drives are ready to use with nero 5.5 right out of the box (which they both include if you don't already have it).

sound wise my suggestion is always think creative. they're the ones that started the sound card push, they're the ones that MS likes best, and they're the ones who seem to get all the support from other software companies. The audigy cards are great cards, they're price good now, or if you're like me and out of PCI slots, go with the extigy. similar features, good quality, and it's usb.

motherboard, gigabyte, asus, or msi. personally i've had too many problems with other boards to suggest them.

either one of your cases are very good. I have the regular, no frills version of both of them (sx1035 and lanboy) from antec. both have good space inside and good airflow.

memrory is good, kingston gives you a real lifetime warranty, as will pny. I've never seen companies that WILL replace your ram in 48 hours or less other than kingston or pny.

dvd and floppy choices are very good, samsung makes one heck of a drive and I've never used any other drives besides mitsumi anyway.

but it sounds like you have a pretty good plan already laid out. listen to what other say, since my word isn't exactly law on this, it's my opinion that's all.

on the case...it would probably come down to if you want/need the larger case or not.

m/b: lots of people like the asus blah blah delux (don't know the model number) i like abit boards and the nf7 line is good, but DO get something with a nforce 2 chipset

water cooling: i went with swiftec. i decided based on 60% looks 40% performace. here the larger case would be quiet useful. it is possible to fit water cooling into a mid-tower but it's easier on something larger.

why get a dvd drive when you are getting a dvd burner that will play dvd's? get a fast cd-rom so you can make cd-to-cd copies. DVD burner: for about the same price you can get the tdk dual format dvd burner. i've had several tdk cd burners and have always liked them.

why get a black floppy drive with a silver case. maybe just me but why get a floppy drive at all? i haven't need one in my computer since i built in about 6 months ago...but whatever.

lastly $170 seems like a lot of money for a 64 mb video card. you can get a fx 5200 128mb for $80. i don't know ati's line very well but there's got to be something better for less.

as for everything i've found www.pricewatch.com to be the best place to look for prices.

Do you plan on overclocking? if so, i would get the AthlonXP 2500+ (thouroghbred B ) and OCZ or Mushkin brand memory at PC3200...but if your not going to overclock...then dont listen to anything i said LOL..

but they are right when it comes to the dvd rw drive...and if you are going to play games...get a better video card...the ati radeon9200 pro or maybe the 9500pro, or the nvidia geforce FX 5600 ultra. but its an overall decent setup for a first time.

As for the sound card...i agree with them on the creative brand sound cards....im about to trade a hercules fortissimo III 7.1 sound card for a souldblaster live value...thats how much i like the soundblaster line of cards.

Get an audigy or a SB Live 5.1

Good luck :)

OT: dude...up where it says thouroghbred b ...you cant put a capitalized b next to a parenthese's because it gives you the smiley with the shades lol... like this (thouroghbred B) lol

Edited by sYstEmATiC

I take it you guys missed out on some things he's doing here. it's a ALL-IN-WONDER video card. so $170 is NOT bad. I just paid $129 for an aiw 8500dv and $299 for a aiw9700 pro the other day. when it comes to tv tuning, the 8500dv is way better. recording they're about the same. gaming we won't even debate.

having a dvd rom makes perfect sense. if you look at the rating on dvd burners, they're not rated for a very long life, why waste it on reading dvd's?

thanks guys, all of you had some good points :D

i cant wait to get started on this, but i might just buy one or two things at a time(depending on money)

if anyone else has any comments or suggestions, please let me know

oh yeah, to answer your question, systematic, i do plan on overclocking

HDD: WD 80Gig 7200RPM 8mb cache for $94

If you have an OfficeMax Store in your town, then you can pick up this Hard Drive for only 59.99 after rebates. I think the reabte purchase period ends today however. The rebate brake-down is the following: 109.99-$10 Instant Rebate-$30 Manufacturer Rebate-$10 OfficeMax Rebate.