New DFI user.... Ultra-D wont OC!!

vikeor

i just got my Ultra-D today.

Before i had a Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI board which would run my 3200+ Venice and GeIL Ultra Platinum P4000 ram @ 10x250 @ 1.55 volts no probs... Hoping to get better OC results i purchased this DFI board... installed it no probs, booted 1st time without needing a format... Then i started to check out the BIOS... alotta settings there.. so i started with a simple OC check... voltage up to 1.425 and 220x10 booted... then.. thinking i could go higher no problem i setup 230x10 HTT 3x 1.45V CL2.5 and restarted... my PC would freeze with a black screen b4 the windows loader.... i thought these boards would be really good to OC with!!

should i manually change the D-Ram settings in the bios?

my ram is rated CAS 2.5 7-4-4... what should i change in the bios?

I just flashed to the 6.23 bios...

another thing, right after the POST i get a Warning saying some crap about single channel and dual channel then press F1 to continue.. is there anyway to get rid of this? its so annoying...

In what slots do U have your RAM?

hehe... i thought i had them in 2 and 4... but they were in 1 and 3... moved the ram and the F1 message isnt there any more...

now.. what about the crappy OCing? what could be wrong?

Guest Spartacus
XXX dammit.. i cant get passed 230x10... having a voltage lower than 1.5 wont boot...

any other suggestions???

i want to AT LEAST get 2.5ghz... :(

The swearing is really offensive dude.

Start doing some searches and see what has worked for other people.

The swearing is really offensive dude.

Start doing some searches and see what has worked for other people.

thats not really a swear??

ive read all the stickies and im just looking for a bit of help ok?

sorry that this was in the wrong place...

Guest Slash

Vikeor...

The key i've found to overclocking is discovering the bottlenecks. This takes a LOT of time....

To see if the RAM is the problem, put the ram on a really slow divider (take them under 200mhz, almost PC2700 speeds). Then ramp up the cpu and find the mhz ceiling of the CPU. Once you know what the CPU is capable of, then you can get busy experimenting with the ram.

Just read up on what other people on the board do, read the guides that Angry Games has stickied, and be patient. The last 64 bit system I built for a friend is the EXACT setup you have except a 3000+ and PC3200 ram. It took me almost a week to end up at our goal of ~2700mhz.

Overclocking is time consuming and very frustrating, you cannot just expect to smack some components together and get a 50% overclock. Take your time, Isolate individual components to find their ceilings, and then find a compromise in the end that best benefits you the end user.

Just an example on my friends system.

300x9 but the ram is running a 150mhz divider to stay down at 225mhz. Took a lot of effort to get the ram up to those speeds, with the timings and voltage (and even a new cooling setup with a 120mm fan! We found at 42c they would go crazy, so we put all sorts of heat sinks of them and the active 120 fan)

At first we couldnt figure out why we couldnt get above 220 RAM mhz but it was because of the ram temperature, it took me 6 days to figure out that was the key.