Conflict between NF4 UT Ultra-D and Mushkin Ram?

I put the new Ram into the computer and when I turn it on a I get one long beep(about a second maybe) and then maybe 2 seconds of silence and then the long beep agian and it keeps doing that untill I turn it off.

I popped in the 512stick of DDR333 I have been using and its fine, put back in the 1gig of mushkin and I get the beeps again.

Excuse me while I slam my head into the wall.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bobyjo

The one gig stick should be no problem. Which slot are you using that stick of ram in? If it refuses to post with the memory in the closest slot to the cpu, then try the next fartherest slot and so on.

If the problem persists, remove every component installed on the board, except the memory, cpu & hs/fan, and the video card.

Be sure to unplug the chipset fan, this will test whether the chipset fan has a short in it or not. My board had a dead short in the chipset fan, therefore the board refused to post at all. The fans just started to spin, then die.

If you get the board to post, enter bios and select optomized defaults. Then enter bios and disable every thing you are not going to use.

Now go to the Genie Bios page.

Then enter the memory settings, be sure everything is set to auto except the LT, should be set to "4" . Enter the memory section, set the drive strength to 50%. Save and exit. This should get you up and running.

Ok I tried the 1 gig stick in every single Ram slot and I get the long beep, I throw in the 512stick and it boots right up, take out the 512 stick so there is no ram in the computer and i get the same beep as with the 1gig stick....

Hello,

Place the 1GB stick in the orange slot. (slot2)

- Remove the power cord

- Clear the CMOS using the jumper for 10mins

- Place the jumper back to the save position

Power the PC.

So to clear the CMOS just place the jumper onto the 2,3 position? And wait ten minutes put it back into the 1,2 plug it back in and power on?

What does clearing a CMOS do? Sorry I am a noob, I am learning a ton tho.

Thanks

It will remove all your previous bios settings, like memory timings. (reset to default)

Just incase the previous settings are causing a problem with the new stick.

OR instead of clearing the CMOS,

Using the 1GB in the orange slot,

Hold down the insert key on your keyboard.

And power the PC, keep the insert key held down.

If it works, enter the BIOS and press f7 >Yes.

Save and exit.

holding insert didnt help me I still got the beep, I set the jumper to the clear position and I will put it in the right position and try that and come back here and tell you guys if it worked or not.

Allright well I moved the CMOS jumper back to the normal position and powered it back up and still got the beep. Tried holding insert again and that didnt help?

Should I try doing the CMOS jumper thing and taking out the CMOS battery? If so whats the best way to take out the battery.

I dont think that will help, to remove the battery you must move that metal bit up and the batteyy will pop out.

Try this,

use you old memory stick.

Enter the BIOS, GENIE SETTINGS.

Set the Dram voltage to 2.8v.

Save and exit.

Turn off.

Try the 1GB stick.

Guest bobyjo

Shakezilla::I think you need to run the 512nb stick and get your system up and running.

There may be something wrong with the 1gb stick or it is not compatable with your board.

Another thing, when you clear CMos, you need to leave the jumper in the clear posisition for only maybe 10seconds. Then place it back to run and go. Just never press the start button with the power on, while the jumper is in the dump mode.

I would really suggest getting two sticks of 512mb memory and running the system with one gb of memory.

If I may ask why would you need 2gb anyway?

My system is up and running on the 512 stick, of ram, and I want to get 2gb in the near future because games like BF2 want at least 1.5gigs for high settings and FPS coming out towards the end of this year will want more ram.

Does newegg allow you to return an item if it isnt compatible with your system without charging a 15% restocking fee? If so what ram would you guys reccomend for between $80-110 preferably 1gig sticks.

Another reason I want 1gig sticks is that I plan on using this ocmputer for 4+years with minor upgrades, I wouldnt wana have 4x512 and then have to sell a stick so I can get up to 3gigs if I need it. Unless somone can ocnvie me otherwise.