No vga signal when trying to use PCIE4 on NF4 Ultra-D

The title kind of says it all. I'm using the 6/23 bios off the main DFI site, winxp pro sp2, and x800xl. I've tried uninstalling my graphics drivers, moving the jumper blocks to SLI, not moving the jumper blocks, and I even tried using an old pci graphics card to install the x800xl as a secondary adapter. But everytime I boot with the x800xl in the PCIE4 slot, I get no signal at all to the monitor. I can tell windows is loading properly, and with a few random clicks can even login. Is there some setting in the bios that allows you to use the other slot? I'm just trying to move my graphics card down so that I can put better/quieter cooling on the chipset.

Thanks.

The title kind of says it all. I'm using the 6/23 bios off the main DFI site, winxp pro sp2, and x800xl. I've tried uninstalling my graphics drivers, moving the jumper blocks to SLI, not moving the jumper blocks, and I even tried using an old pci graphics card to install the x800xl as a secondary adapter. But everytime I boot with the x800xl in the PCIE4 slot, I get no signal at all to the monitor. I can tell windows is loading properly, and with a few random clicks can even login. Is there some setting in the bios that allows you to use the other slot? I'm just trying to move my graphics card down so that I can put better/quieter cooling on the chipset.

Thanks.

if you run your x800xl on the 4th PCI-E slot, it will only run at a max of 2x. why arent you running it in the first PCI-E slot? if its problems like the chipset fan is in the way, you might need to mod it like mine. make sure your x800xl is connected properly in the first place, i know i had trouble with the same card in my CM Stacker case. had to slightly bend the bracket to fit the card in. http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...57&page=3&pp=15

Simma down now...

There is no good reason the card shouldn't work in the second PCIe slot.

The standard configuration is X16(by 16) for the top slot and X2 for the bottom slot.

When you move the SLI jumpers you are configuring both slots to run at X8 speed.

Current video cards including the new 7800 can not fill the entire bandwidth of a X8 slot so you will not suffer any performance hit.

Now back to the current problem.

If the card works in the top slot but doesn't work in the bottom slot I would first suspect there is a problem with the alignment of the card in the slot.

Please verify your results and post back.

Simma down now...

...Now back to the current problem.

If the card works in the top slot but doesn't work in the bottom slot I would first suspect there is a problem with the alignment of the card in the slot.

Please verify your results and post back.

I know it was seated correctly, because when I tried the old pci card as the primary, I could see my desktop long enough to see the pci radeon 7000 pci install and then it installed the drivers for the x800xl at which point the screen flashed like usual when graphics drivers are installed, but the desktop never came back. I don't think it liked having the same drivers for two different cards on two different buses...

I just thought there might be some setting in the PnP part of the BIOS that I'm not seeing that says look at PCIE4 for my graphics signal...

Thanks.

Just want to say I'm having the same problem as Slim does..

Things I did:

- Enable SLI in bios

- Moved Jumpers in to SLI position

I can hear my comp boot up normally but there are no video signals.. Can't figure out why yet..

Slim,

You have two possible resolutions to your issue already posted in your thread. Re-seating your video card, or flashing to another bios ver. Have you tried them? Try loosening the the screws securing your motherboard to the case pan, then re-seat your video card.

I'm not sure I even want to move the card anymore now, the reason my chipset hsf was so loud was the corner of the x800xl was pressing on the chip hsf and caused a vibration that was being amplified by the card. My system is almost dead silent now.

I do think this was a bios bug as you guys suggested, but for now, I'm going to focus on overclocking the cpu. So far, 2.6g superpi 32m stable with a minimal increase in voltage and temps.

Thanks for the help though :nod:

PS: Air if you are still looking for better chipset cooling, you should look at this thread.

• 3 months later...

I have same problem with my Sapphire X800 GTO card. Weird is that X600 card is working on that same lower slot. I only get continous error beeps with x800 attached on pcie4 slot. The card is properly on the slot allright, did my experiments with motherboard lying on the table.

The bios version is interesting me. Where can I still find the 618 version?