One heck of a time overclocking

1Ton

Hey guys,

As the title states, I'm having one heck of a time overclocking.

I should mention that his is my first a64 so the different procedure is quite new to me.

Anyhow, I was running the 06/06/2005 BIOS (I think that was the version it came loaded with) and today I updated it to 07/11/05.

Now I can't raise my FSB to anything past 210 mhz...it won't post if I do and I end up having to reset the cmos.

LDT/FSB = 4x

CPU/FSB = 9x

I've tried changing the memory timings so it's not so tight but still won't post at anything greater than 210 mhz.

Tried lowering the LDT to 3x and raising it to 5x with no success.

I have not increased voltages as I don't think I should just to gain 15 mhz.

Is there a problem with this BIOS version?

what did you get with the other bios?

I was able to reach at least 240 with the previous bios.

I didn't push it more than that because I was running off a 365 watt psu.

Replaced that with a 535 watt and it was still running fine but reading my ram at 333 so I flashed the bios to 07/11/05.

After flashing the bios, it correctly identifies the ram at dual channel 400 mhz but now I'm having major overclocking issues.

Have you flashed using one of the few "proper" methods here? Atleast : set bios to default settings, save and exit, unplug, battery out, clear cmos 5 minutes, battery in, pug in, load optimized defaults, clear all bios reloaded things, save and exit, enter bios and tweek away?

If so then I'd be flashing back and figuring out the 333 thing.

did u flasht he right way? flash... clear cmos... enter bios load default... restart set clocks... boot window?

Actually no I did not follow the that exact procedure.

I basically flashed, loaded bios defaults, started Windows, reboot and changed clock and that's when I noticed it was having problems.

I'll try flashing again and clearing the cmos immediately after the flash....right?

If that doesn't work I'll try flashing the bios back one version.

Thanks for the input guys.

Ok, so I reflashed the bios using the correct procedure (flashed, clear cmos, loaded optimized defaults, booted into windows, restarted and changed settings) and it is working much better now. Thanks noktekniq and Fire-N-Ice.

I've now hit a wall at 238 Mhz.

I can boot into Windows at 238 Mhz and OCCT passes and Prime95 for 9 hours successfully.

After that, I raised the fsb to 239 and Windows hangs at the Windows splash screen. Hard drive light is solid and will not go anyfurther.

Current settings are,

DRAM 3-3-3-8 @ 100 Mhz

CPU Overclock in mhz - 239

Hammer FID Control x9

AGP overclock in mhz - 67

LDT/FSB Frequency ratio - 3x (tried 2x as well)

Cool & quiet disabled

CPU VID Control - 1.450 (238 mhz booted fine with voltage at 1.350)

CPU voltage adjusting - +0.1v

Chipset Voltage Control 1.65v

Memory voltage control 2.6v

What do you guys thing I should do next? Keep raising the CPU voltage?

whoa.....3-3-3-6 on a OCZ gold? BH-5 i presume? settings look wrong to me for sum reason....running then on 100mhz? VOLTZ!!!!

Well I'm running them so loosely just to try and eliminate the RAM being problem.

They're rated to run at 2-2-2-5 @ 400 Mhz.

I have tried tightening the timings but it doesn't make a difference.

Any idea what's the max voltage a venice can run at safely?

Well I'm running them so loosely just to try and eliminate the RAM being problem.

They're rated to run at 2-2-2-5 @ 400 Mhz.

I have tried tightening the timings but it doesn't make a difference.

Any idea what's the max voltage a venice can run at safely?

I think it depends on your cooling. Mine hits load temps in the mid 50s at 1.6v. I don't like to push it any further. I think the general advice for longevity is to keep load temps under 50C if possible.

Raise voltage slowly.